Home   Sport   Article

White full of praise as Thetford seal Vase progression

GOAL-DEN MOMENT: Thetford's Robbie Priddle wheels away to celebrate doubling Town's advantage in Saturday's 2-1 win over Great Yarmouth Town
GOAL-DEN MOMENT: Thetford's Robbie Priddle wheels away to celebrate doubling Town's advantage in Saturday's 2-1 win over Great Yarmouth Town



Thetford Town 2

Great Yarmouth Town 1

Danny White hailed a ‘great team performance’ after Thetford booked their place in the second round of the FA Vase for the first time in five years.

A goal early in each half, from the impressive Bruno Tavares and top scorer Robbie Priddle, saw them win through a Norfolk derby they were always in full control of, ahead of being drawn away to Hertfordshire-based Spartan South Midlands Premier Division side Hoddesdon Town on November 12 (3pm).

And the nature of the performance, keeping alive their Wembley dreams, left manager White, a former finalist in the famous competition, beaming with pride.

“Bruno showed what he is capable of with his goal,” he said. “When he is on form he is untouchable.

“He has cut in and unleashed an absolute worldy to be honest.

“He has tormented their full-back all day today.

“But it was a great team performance. I can’t really pick out anyone as an individual.

“It has been a great team performance and the result is the main thing.”

He added: “At times today we showed what we are about.

“The free-kick (for the second goal) was off the training ground and has worked again.

“It was a great finish and I was really pleased with the goals.

“I was disappointed with the goal we conceded but fair play to Yarmouth, they came and gave it a go.”

Tavares stunned Thetford’s fellow Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division opponents with a sublime finish from 25 yards as early as the fourth minute to give the dominant Brecklanders a slender lead at the interval, which could and should have been more.

Tavares saw goalkeeper Jack Whatmough save his one-on-one attempt while Max Melanson went close to catching him out from long-range as the hosts got plenty of joy down the wings.

At the other end captain Sam Bond and Ross Bailey made strong saving challenges.

A slick free-kick move doubled Town’s advantage seven minutes after the restart. Ross Bailey played the ball to Melanson on the right edge of the penalty area and he slipped it on to the impressive Cameron King, who stood up a cross after committing the ‘keeper for Priddle to glance a header into an open net.

It was not until substitute Sean Perfect nudged in a Thomas Cullumbine low cross at the far post in the 65th minute that the tie looked in any danger.

But aside from one last-minute near-post block, home ‘keeper Kingsley Barnes was untroubled.

Thetford (6th) return to league action tomorrow with a trip to struggling Godmanchester Rovers (3pm) before travelling to current leaders Mildenhall Town on Tuesday in the League Challenge Cup (7.45pm).

Thetford Town: Barnes, Bond (c), L Bailey, O’Mahoney, Sanders, Smith, Melanson (Conroy 81), R Bailey, Priddle (Attree 90), King (Fuller 85), Tavares. Unused sub: White.

Free Press Man of The Match: Bruno Tavares. Att: 91


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More