Home   Sport   Article

Walsham have set themselves a standard to keep aspiring to

WELCOME WIN: Walsham-le-Willows celebrate one of their four goals in the comprehensive victory over Hadleigh United on Saturday
WELCOME WIN: Walsham-le-Willows celebrate one of their four goals in the comprehensive victory over Hadleigh United on Saturday


Walsham-le-Willows 4

Hadleigh United 0

Walsham-le-Willows manager Paul Smith has warned his players they have set themselves a standard to aspire to following a 4-0 thumping of Hadleigh United.

In what has been an inconsistent Premier Division campaign so far for the Willows, they put on arguably their best performance to date with goals from Tom Driscoll, Charlie Webb, Sam Peters and Tanner Call easing their relegations fears, moving them up to 17th and out of the drop zone.

And ahead of a trip to Mildenhall Town tomorrow (3pm) a delighted Smith has challenged his charges to maintain that momentum.

“It was a really pleasing performance and to keep a clean sheet as well makes it that little bit more special.

“We have just to keep this going now and hopefully this will give us a platform to build on.

“We have been well recently but today we just had the run of the ball and we got exactly what we got we deserved.

“The whole team worked really hard and you can see that their efforts have paid off.

“We have lost to teams in the past that we shouldn’t and then turn up here and beat a very good side like Hadleigh.

“It shows how capable we are but we just have to do that on a regular basis.

“The key for us going forward is to maintain that consistency and that is what the players have to do now.

“They have set themselves this standard and that is the level I will be looking for from now on.”

Hadleigh’s Danny Thrower fired an effort at Willows goalkeeper Craig Brand after 10 minutes, but that was his only involvement in the encounter as the visitors dominated the remainder of the game.

Just two minutes later the visitors broke the deadlock as former United player Driscoll got on the end of Webb’s cross from the left before burying the ball low past Ben Nower.

Peters then saw a wind-assisted cross-shot rebound off the bar before Walsham doubled their advantage after 35 minutes as Webb got on the end of a Call delivery from the left to head home at the near post.

That dominance continued after the break as Peters got on the scoresheet with a curling free-kick into the bottom right corner after 53 minutes.

And the rout was completed after 62 minutes as a flowing move involving Driscoll and Andrew Wood was brilliantly finished off by Call to secure Walsham their first victory in six games.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More