Home   Sport   Article

Walsham ease relegation fears at the expense of Thetford

FOOTBALL - Walsham v 'Kirkley & Pakefield''Pictured: T Call ANL-151220-125936009
FOOTBALL - Walsham v 'Kirkley & Pakefield''Pictured: T Call ANL-151220-125936009



Walsham-le-Willows 5

Thetford Town 2

Paul Smith hailed Walsham-le-Willows’ resilience as they eased their relegation fears by securing a 5-2 derby-win over rivals Thetford Town.

In what proved a lively encounter in front of a crowd of 120 at Summer Road as part of a non-League groundhopper weekend, the visitors ended with 10-men following captain Sam Bond’s straight red card with The Willows fighting back from Olly Standley’s opener, with hat-trick hero Tanner Call and strike partner Andrew Wood (2) inspiring them to victory.

And despite conceding a late second goal to sub James Buhlemann, Smith was left delighted with a vital second successive victory which lifted them to 16th, two places and three points ahead of Thetford in the final relegation spot.

“It was a massively important win for the club,” he said.

“There is no reason why we can’t now build on this against Haverhill Rovers here again on Saturday (3pm).

The visitors opened the scoring after just two minutes when Standley swept home Andrew Cusack’s cross before Woods’ leveller was added to by three further goals in a devastating 10 minute period.

Call coolly slotted in the second after 30 minutes, before Wood rifled home his second and Call did likewise with a well taken first-time strike.

The home side scored again in the 73rd minute as Call completed his hat-trick, before Thetford reduced the deficit with 15 minutes to go.

However, the encounter ended on a sour note for Thetford with skipper Bond receiving his marching orders for an off the ball incident involving Ryan Clarke.

“There was a real lack of fight and that is massively disappointing,” said Thetford Town manager Danny White.

n Bury Town saw their Saturday league game and Tuesday cup semi-final postponed due to waterlogged pitches. The Blues travel to Tilbury tomorrow (3pm) and Aveley (7.45pm) on Monday.

Bury’s Suffolk Premier Cup semi-final with Lowestoft Town at Needham Market has been rearranged for a week Tuesday (7.45pm).

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More