Tuesday round-up: Tigers’ glory, Bury’s drama

Joe Jacobs
Joe Jacobs
Have your say

The Mildenhall Fen Tigers retained the National League Knockout Cup, despite their second leg at the Dudley Heathens ending early due to the Monmore Green club’s curfew.

Thanks to their huge first-leg advantage, the Tigers had done enough when the meeting was stopped early despite trailing 41-32 on the night, with Joe Jacobs (pictured) leading the way with 13 points.

However, the Tigers have a tough task ahead of them at King’s Lynn’s Norfolk Arena tonight for their home leg of the National League play-off final.

The meeting was switched to Mildenhall’s East Anglian rivals because of the West Row track not being in a fit state to ride and they go into it trailing by 14 points after last night’s first leg defeat at Dudley.

The Tigers almost pulled off the comeback to end all comebacks against Scunthorpe last year and hope they can go one better this time around, despite being without heat leaders Cameron Heeps and Lewis Blackbird.

Meanwhile, Bury Town looked as if they were suffering an FA Cup hangover when they trailed Cray Wanderers 2-0 in the Ryman League Premier Division last night, but on-loan midfielder Craig Parker won and scored a penalty with a quarter of an hour remaining before John Sands popped up in the third minute of stoppage time to head in a dramatic equaliser.

Sands’ former club Mildenhall Town edged out local rivals Ely City in the first round of the Red Insure Cup — the Eastern Counties League Cup — thanks to Darryl Coakley’s deflected drive.

Dan Morphew and Luke Catchpole netted late on as Thetford Town came from behind to see off Norwich United, but Team Bury and Stowmarket Town both exited the competition with 2-1 losses, to Debenham LC and Whitton United respectively.

Walsham-le-Willows host Hadleigh United in the competition tonight (7.45pm) — a repeat of last week’s FA Vase first round tie that went to a replay and ended with United snatching a 2-0 win in extra-time.