Try bonanza helps gain revenge for worst display

Have your say


Bury St Edmunds 52 Ruislip 5

BURY atoned for their worst performance of the season by trouncing Ruislip at The Haberden.

A young Bury side ran in seven converted tries to dismiss a decent Ruislip outfit and jump up to sixth position in the table.

Jake Thurlow made his first team debut at open side as did Josh Borley on the left wing.

Will Martin landed a straight forward penalty to get the scoreboard ticking.

The fly-half had a perfect day with the boot, converting all seven tries that followed and, with a try for himself, he walked off with 22 points at the final whistle.

A scrum in the visitors’ 22 allowed Martin the chance to loop around Kenny Eggars and feed full-back Barry Frost, who had the simple chance of putting the ball down out wide.

The conversion went in off the post and Bury — who lost 14-12 at Ruislip in October — were motoring towards their third 50-point haul from their last four matches.

Almost immediately from the restart, Bury scored again.

Borley was given space out wide and made good ground before passing inside to Tim Mann.

The powerful centre avoided two would-be tacklers before allowing prop Mike Lagudi to dive over for 17-0.

Scrum-half Dennis spotted Frost all alone out wide and his superb long pass sent the full-back racing away.

Winger Ricky Jones appeared on his shoulder and, although he could not quite make it, the supporting James MacLachlan was on hand to dive over in the corner.

Ruislip continued to battle and good pressure in midfield saw them pull a score back to make it 24-5. That score had taken nearly 10 minutes of constant Ruislip pressure and effort to achieve. In 45 seconds it was undone.

Directly from the restart, Eddison won the race to the ball and taped it back towards MacLachan to carry forward.

Fly-half Martin received the ball and centre Eggars cut a great line to smash through two half-hearted tackles and dot down between the sticks.

In the dying seconds of the half, Bury scored their fifth try. A penalty in their own 22 was run rather than kicked and, after several phases of excellent support play, MacLachan was on hand to power his way over from short range for his second try.

Martin’s superb touchline conversion made it 38-5 at the break.

The second half failed to ascend to the heights the first had reached.

Bury worked one glorious score on 60 minutes. Scrum-half Johnny Dennis darted through before finding his half-back partner Martin.

The number 10 jinked his way deep into Ruislip territory before the ball was shipped wide, allowing youngster Jones to slip in round by the posts.

Martin scored Bury’s final try, Eggars the architect as he broke out of his own 22 and, as he passed the halfway line, neatly chipped in field for the onrushing Martin to collect and outpace the cover defence for a try.