Home   Sport   Article

Parry heads to Monza for latest GP3 test

SPINNING OUT: Bury St Edmunds racer Matt Parry spins into the wall at Spa-Francorchamps
SPINNING OUT: Bury St Edmunds racer Matt Parry spins into the wall at Spa-Francorchamps

Matt Parry turns his attentions to the sixth round of the 2015 GP3 Series this weekend.

The Bury St Edmunds race ace will line-up at the Autodromo Nazionale, in Monza, over the weekend after a lucky escape in his previous outing at at Spa-Francorchamps.

Parry’s bid for a third consecutive podium came unstuck.

But the Koiranen GP driver was simply relieved to have emerged unscathed from a dramatic race two accident.

Looking ahead to his visit to Monza, Parry said: “We’ll just try and put Spa- Francorchamps behind us and move on to Monza, which is a circuit I’ve not been to before.

“I’ve got a simulator session, but I’ve also got to work on my starts and find a system that suits me.

“Once we get that sorted, I know that I’ll be a threat at every round.”

After qualifying sixth at at the Belgian Grand Prix venue, Parry went into the Saturday race looking for a good start.

But his weekend hopes turned completely as the lights went out for the start of race one.

While Koiranen team-mate Jimmy Eriksson jumped the start behind him, Parry went nowhere as his car stalled and left him momentarily stranded on the grid.

Fortunately, nobody made contact with him, but the former McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver of the Year was on the back foot thereafter.

“The stall was my fault,” Parry admitted after the race

“We’ve been trying different things to try and make my starts a bit better, and I just got it wrong.

“Trying to pre-load in a bid for a fast getaway actually welded the clutch together and cut the engine, so I went nowhere.”

Although he did eventually start, his progress was cut short after just a few laps.

Taking evading action to avoid a slowing car on the Kemmel Straight, the Koiranen car was forced onto the grass, which promptly blocked its radiator and caused terminal overheating.

Parry was forced to start Sunday’s race from the penultimate row of the 23-car grid.

Having climbed to within touching distance of the points, the Welshman had his efforts halted in frightening fashion.

Parry was trying to avoid an incident in front of him when a competitors wheel came back across the track and hit the front of his car.

The impact sent him spinning into the wall, ensuring that Parry went home pointless for the first time since the first round in Barcelona.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More