Home   Sport   Article

New Year’s Day round-up: Bury Town players thrilled by first away win

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press

Bury Town’s players were delighted to make a superb start to 2015 as they secured their first away victory of the 2014/15 campaign.

The Blues remain rooted to the foot of the Ryman League Premier Division, but with Connor Hall shining in midfield once again with a brace and returning striker John Sands getting off the mark, the Suffolk side showed there remains hope.

Hall and Sands put Bury 2-0 up inside quarter of an hour, but on-loan West Ham United striker Taylor Tombides hit a hat-trick as Canvey Island turned the match on its head to lead 3-2.

Hall equalised from the penalty spot with 15 minutes remaining and Remi Garrett popped up with the 80th-minute winner to send Bury back to Suffolk full of joy.

Reacting on social media site Twitter, a number of players registered how thrilled they were with the success.

Captain Seb Dunbar (@basidunbar) said: “HUGE result and what a way to start the new year!!”

Two-goal striker John Sands (@scoresforfun) added: “I ain’t gonna lie it felt good to be back! Three points and left-foot thunderbolt!! #sandman”

Assistant-manager Christian Appleford (@cappleford9) hailed the players’ efforts: “Buzzing off today, boys played well and dug in — what a great win to start 2015. #BTFC”

New chief executive Michelle Banfield-Curran (@michelle_btfc), who officially starts her new role at the club today, was also pleased: “Cannot ask for a better start to 2015 with a win for @BuryTownFC. I am so pleased for Ben (Chenery) and @cappleford9. Patience and planning has paid off!”

In Ryman League Division One North, a late winner from Sam Newson kept Needham Market top of the table as they narrowly triumphed in the Suffolk derby against nine-man AFC Sudbury.

Craig Pope was given his marching orders for Sudbury in the first half, but Lawrence Yiga hit the post for the Yellows.

Needham could not break down the stubborn AFC defence and only after Lee Flynn was shown the second red card of the game in stoppage time did they finally find a way through when Newson nodded in from close range.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More