Titans take points on first away trip of season

HAT-TRICK HERO: Ryuichi Kawaguchi touches down one of his three tries against the Milton Keynes Wolves
HAT-TRICK HERO: Ryuichi Kawaguchi touches down one of his three tries against the Milton Keynes Wolves
Have your say

Milton Keynes Wolves 26 Bury Titans 34

BURY Titans made their first away trip of the season and returned with a hard-earned victory.

It took 11 minutes for the first score to be registered through Ryan Grimwood. Chris Beaird and Steve MacQueen moved fast along the line to find Grimwood on the wing to run in from 10 metres.

The Wolves responded well, and a great passage of play released one of their large forwards to score near the posts, which was converted.

Wolves began to give away penalties, allowing Titans time and territory.

From one such penalty, centre Marcus Sale crashed through the Wolves’ defence to score, Ryuichi Kawaguchi converting from wide out.

From the next restart, Titans regained possession, forcing multiple penalties from the home side. Kawaguchi danced through the defence to score his first try of the game, which he converted.

Unfortunately, Titans lost the influential Beaird with a leg injury.

Titans continued the pressure after the reshuffle and space was created for Kawaguchi to again dance his was over to score, which he again converted, to give his side a 22-6 advantage at the break.

Within two minutes of the restart, Wolves closed the gap.

Titans responded well and after some huge hits especially from forwards Stacy Yates and Matt Bell, and Kawaguchi continued his impressive form to swerve through and score his hat-trick try.

Titans lost wing MacQueen to another leg injury after a high tackle and Titans were down in numbers for the remaining 30 minutes of the game.

Wolves were next to score with good handling.

The next score for Titans came when centre Scott Macro sprinted 40 metres to touch down before Kawaguchi popped a sublime pass to the storming Sale to hit a gap and also sprint 40 metres to score.

Wolves added another four points against a tiring defensive effort.

With one last effort, Titans chased the kick off hoping to force an error and gain possession. The Wolves knocked on within 10 metres of their line and Titans had an attacking scrum to work from.

The ball was passed from the scrum but did not go to hand and was spilt forwards. The Wolves pounced and scored in the corner. Again this was converted by the home kicker.

An exhausted Titans saw the final five minutes out and held on to their eight-point lead to take the victory.