Seconds miss out on upset after letting two-goal lead slip

ROOTED: Action from Bury St Edmunds Men's 3-1 defeat to Cambridge City III at Nowton Park on Saturday, which left the Suffolk side at the foot of East Men's League Division Two North
ROOTED: Action from Bury St Edmunds Men's 3-1 defeat to Cambridge City III at Nowton Park on Saturday, which left the Suffolk side at the foot of East Men's League Division Two North
Have your say

EAST MEN’S LEAGUE DIVISION FOUR NORTH EAST: Lowestoft Railway 4 Bury St Edmunds II 4: Bury St Edmunds were forced to settle for a share of the spoils after letting a two-goal lead slip against second-placed Lowestoft Railway.

Bury started slowly and conceded a goal to good penalty corner, but the hosts fought back and equalised through a good strike from Ian Konrath.

With momentum behind them, the visitors started to dominate, but it was Lowestoft who regained the lead against the run of play.

Bury responded immediately and levelled once more before half-time as Ed Hughes went on a fine solo run before slotting home with a reverse-stick strike.

That gave the visitors the incentive after the break and, with Jim Armitage and Tim Hollins controlling the midfield, Bury found soon found themselves with a two-goal advantage with Konrath’s second and Paul Whitting putting them 4-2 ahead.

However, they were denied the victory as Lowestoft lifted themselves in the final stages and struck with two late goals to snatch a dramatic draw.

n There was also disappointment for the first team as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat to Cambridge in Division Two North.

Despite positive displays from stand-in goalkeeper Andy Longfield, who made several vital saves, Bury found themselves 3-0 down.

Better defending from Tom Campbell-Todd, James Mayhew, Tom Rashy and Peter Skidmore stopped Cambridge from adding to their tally but other the end, Bury continued to struggle.

Mark Stanton did finally pull a goal back for Bury, but it proved nothing more than a consolation in what was a difficult afternoon.

n There was also a four-goal haul for the fourth team in Division Six North East as they cruised to a 4-2 success over Pelican Masters.

After falling a goal behind, Bury equalised immediately as Peter Watson struck from a penalty corner.

Another defensive slip allowed Pelicans to regain the lead, but once again the home side hit back with Adrian Adams slotting home to send the sides in level at the interval.

Bury introduced Robert Dyball after the break and the switch paid dividends as he prodded home from a short corner to gift the home side the lead before Johnny Briggs wrapped up the points with a fourth.

n Bury Ladies II carried picked up from where they left off at the end of last year with a convincing 4-0 win over Felixstowe in the Suffolk Ladies League Premier Division.

After a good period of early dominance in which Ella Dowling struck the post, Amy Morris finally broke the deadlock with a powerful strike to send Bury in ahead at the break.

The momentum continued with Bury after half-time with three further goals from Charlie Casey-Haden, Mazz Chapman and a Julie Dunger penalty corner to cap off an impressive display.

n Another team to hit the goal trail was Bury Over-40s who romped to a 7-0 success at home to St Neots to ease through to the third round of the Now Pensions Over-40 Trophy.

Bury began the game brightly with Alan Snow, Paul Calver, Jem Allen and Rob Johnson controlling the midfield and eventually lead to Claver opening the scoring with a well placed shot.

The second half proved more fruitful for Bury who found their clinical touch with three further goals from Calver, complemented by solo efforts from Snow, Johnson and Sean Milbank to confirm progression.