Hadleigh Eights Bells record an emphatic victory

Have your say

CASTLE Hedingham Wheatsheaf were the guests at Hadleigh Eight Bells in a match that would go some way to deciding the outcome of the Industrial Electrical Services Sudbury and District Bar Billiard League as both teams were on equal points at the top.

The home side made an impressive start winning both doubles relatively easily with John Raine recording a 1410 break in the opening game.

The visitors needed a quick response, and James Stoker reduced the deficit beating Paul Leathers 1160-870.

From that point it was then all one-way traffic as the Bells dominated the remaining games with victories from Charlie Townsend, Melvin Tilbury, Graham Rolfe and John Raine to record an emphatic 6-1 victory.

The Saracens were hoping to keep their slim hopes of the title alive when entertaining Cornard Hells Bells and were pushed right to the wire by their opponents.

After sharing the doubles Frank Dobson put the visitors ahead only for Dick Cheshire to record a 2000-540 win over Miro Repasky to level the scores.

Ian Furlonger put the hosts in front for the first time beating Martin Robertson, but Brian Bullett made sure of a last-game decider by overcoming Mick Andrews.

A real tussle then took place between Chip Millins and Cyril Grainger, with the former scoring a last-ball 200 to win 1260-1150 and give the Saracens a 4-3 win.

Mauldons Adders continued their recent revival against the faltering Edwardstone Wild Horses.

Both teams took a share of the spoils in the doubles, but then the Adders won the first two singles with Chris Cass putting in a good performance to beat Tracy Reeve 1140-990. Doedy Munson pulled one back for the Horses in a top-scoring 1500-500.

The Adders wrapped up the win when Dennis Watts stormed ahead of Melvyn Willis, with the latter unfortunate to black peg near the end.

The final game saw an all-female contest with Marje Rose sinking a last ball 200 to beat Faye Hunt 900-820, which left the Adders winning 4-3.

Stansfield Compasses leapfrogged the Wild Horses into fourth place when winning 5-2 at The Thatcher’s Arms.

With the match all square after the doubles the visitors went into overdrive with wins by Stu Spearman, Simon Iron, Keith Spillett and Al Brunning, with Spillett’s 1500-1250 win against Bill Rhodes proving the highlight of the evening.

Tim Lesnik reduced the arrears with a good victory over Rob Foster, 1680-680, that included a break of 910.

The Brewery Tap were looking to beat one of the sides just above them when they travelled to Cornard Five Bells and made an ideal start, easily winning both doubles.

The momentum was then lost as first Steven Whitehart then Malcolm Groome pulled the home side level.

A complete turnaround was completed when Bob Hedley accounted for Geoff Gooday. Tap’s Pete Lillie then top-scored against George Warren, 1740-700 to set up a final game decider.

Marcus Sheppard and Del Atton went head to head but it was the Five Bells star who just prevailed 970-590 to give his team another vital two points.