Equaliser elusive after comeback

Have your say



Norwich City 3 Bury 2

IN WHAT turned out to be a close game, the home side started the better and quickly scored two goals.

The first came from poor defending that allowed the Norwich centre back to walk through four tackles.

The second came from a reckless tackle from Paul Kingfisher at the top of the D, giving the umpire no choice but to award a penalty flick which the centre-back stepped up and buried.

This kicked Bury into life and, for the last 20 minutes of the first half, they fought back, led by the experienced midfielder Nik Chappi. He charged down a clearance, beat two defenders and slipped the ball past the onrushing keeper for Ian Konrath to tap home.

The half ended with Bury pulling another goal back from captain Steve Jackson with a wonderful strike from a short corner.

The half-time break came at the wrong moment for the visitors as they could not get the same flowing hockey going in the second period and gave away another goal from a short corner.

Bury chased an equaliser that never came, despite good chances for Konrath, Jackson and Grisby.



Bury II 4 Norwich City IV 2

AFTER a slow start and going behind to an early goal, Bury picked themselves up to seal a great win against a strong side.

Norwich took the lead in the first two minutes from a short corner, but soon after Paul Lawrence popped up at the far post to make it 1-1.

Just after the interval, an Alex MacCafrey cross found Matt Hulland lurking to smash home a volley, quickly followed by a James Piercy screamer from the edge of the area.

Norwich claimed one back from a scrappy short corner but, with time running out, Oli Whiteman sealed the emphatic victory, sliding one into the bottom corner.



Norwich City V 2 Bury III 2

BOTH teams came out fast and play surged from end to end.

City took the lead, capitalising on hesitation.

Bury replied instantly, putting together a fine move up the right wing, through Chiang, Sealby and Williams, who drilled an excellent ball in to Campbell-Todd.

In a goalmouth scramble, a defender and keeper deflected the ball out to Hollins, who flicked home from the top of the circle.

In the second half Bury won a succession of short corners but could not conjure a goal.

Quick thinking from Campbell-Todd gave them the breakthrough. The ball struck a City foot and their players stopped, expecting a short corner to be given, but the ball fell to Campbell-Todd who guided home a precise shot.

Almost immediately City had a chance to equalise, when Longfield collided with a forward and a penalty flick was awarded. Longfield dived with lightning reflexes to save the shot.

City redoubled their efforts and pressed Bury back, and with Hollins unwisely trying to pass the ball out of danger when a simple clearance would have done, the City midfielder intercepted skilfully and dispatched his shot with venom into the bottom corner. Captain’s man of the match was Seb Pont.

Bury IV 6 Magpies 1

BURY began this match knowing that defeat would leave them in the relegation zone.

They started brightly and the front line of Davies and Briggs plundered two quick goals.

Magpies hit back midway through the half when Sullivan senior conceded an unnecessary penalty corner and Magpies scored, the ball squeezing in at the post.

However, a flowing attack started by Adams resulted in a fine goal scored by Briggs.

The second half began with a number of fine saves from Gibson and excellent tackles by Sullivan junior to ensure Bury maintained their advantage.

Bury added further goals from Kavanagh, Anstee-Parry and Briggs to complete his hat-trick and improve Bury’s goal difference.


Cambridge City 5  Bury 1

CAMBRIDGE City showed why they are top of the league with an efficient display.

Dominating territory and possession early on, Cambridge kept the play in and around the Bury circle. They stifled Bury’s attempts to relieve the pressure. These tactics paid off with two goals.

Bury rallied, Beaney and Walsh using the ball down the left and Moulam creating an opportunity for Bass, who took it well.

Towards the end of the first half Bury conceded a short corner and another goal. Bury dug deep in the second half. Despite losing the hard-working Walsh to injury, Bury responded to Cambridge’s passing game with one of their own. However, Cambridge kept their shape and poise in defence and sealed the game with two devastating flicks from short corners.