Bury continue to rampage their way through London One North

editorial image
Have your say


Beaconsfield 5

Bury St Edmunds 108

Bury breached the 100-point barrier for the first time in a record-breaking season as a hapless Beaconsfield proved no match for the champions.

Bury scored within three minutes of the kick-off, Rob Blatch strolling in on his last game for the club before his return to New Zealand.

A yellow card to the home side’s number eight for tripping did not help the cause and 15 minutes in, Bury led 21-0 thanks to further tries for Kenny Eggars and Sam Bixby.

Beaconsfield had elected to play their regular number eight at inside centre to try to negate the attacking intent of Kenny Eggars, but the experiment proved unfounded as Brenton Krammer engineered some space for his Kiwi friend to waltz in by the posts for his second score.

Beaconsfield tried their hardest to break down a miserly Bury defence but, despite a promising catch and drive, could not breach the green line.

Matt Page scored an outrageous try from inside his own 22, handing off and jinking his way past several would-be tacklers to score.

Eggars tried to emulate him with a similarly stunning 50-metre break, but he linked up with Ed Hawkins and Krammer for the latter to touch down to make it 40-0.

Everything looked too easy for Bury and complacency inevitably crept in on occasions and left-wing Chris Snelling had a five-minute spell he would like to forget.

Having been held up over the line when he really ought to have scored, he fumbled a speculative crossfield kick, allowing his opposite number in for Beaconsfield’s only score of the match.

Sublime handling by both backs and forwards combined to put Phil Gouldie in for his first try before Ben Radmell cut a great angle in midfield to allow Mike Lagudi to feed Bixby for his brace and a 54-5 half-time lead.

The home side, clearly chastened by their coaches came out firing in the second half, but this did not last long as Bury sent Gouldie in for his second score before the winger tided up some sloppy play to create the space for Eggars to notch up his hat-trick.

By the hour-mark, the scoreline had reached 80 points as tries for Tanimo Samoa and Radmell were both converted by Will Martin.

The game had long time ceased as a contest, the only surprise being why Beaconsfield continued to try to throw the ball around rather than perhaps looking to slow the game down.

Their enterprise gained no reward, rather it generated tries for Radmell – after great work by Eggars – and a hat-trick-earning score for Gouldie from a break and bullet pass from Page.

Every time Bury gained possession they looked like scoring a try.

Prop forward Beau Gibson rampaged down the left before sending Snelling in for the try that breached the 100-point barrier.

Page proved too quick and too elusive as the scoreboard ticked over once again before the referee decided he had seen enough and put the home side out of their misery.