Home   Sport   Article

Mistakes bring to an end Bury’s unbeaten run

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press



Bury Town 1

Heybridge Swifts 3

by Russell Claydon & John Alcock at Ram Meadow

Ben Chenery felt his side played their best 45 minutes of football before individual mistakes saw them surrender their unbeaten record to bottom side Heybridge Swifts on Tuesday.

All had been going well in Bury’s bid to remain the only one of 72 Ryman League clubs unbeaten in 2015/16 after Sam Reed slotted in after 20 minutes, following Justin Miller’s free-kick.

But the lead lasted just four minutes as Aldaberto Pinto fired an unstoppable long-range effort into the top corner for 1-1 at the break, despite the hosts ending the half firmly on top with Reed and Ollie Hughes going close.

The second half saw individual errors take the unbeaten record end though, with youngster Noel Aitkens’ sloppy pass intercepted before Joshua Fagbohun got through to put Swifts ahead in the 53rd minute.

Ten minutes later Taylor Hastings made it 3-1, curling a controversially-awarded free-kick beyond Neil O’Sullivan.

Bury’s fightback came all too late, with the referee feeling the wrath of Chenery and the Bury fans after only giving the visiting keeper a yellow when taking out Reed.

“It was a disappointing way to lose the unbeaten run. We were totally in control first half,” said Chenery.

“In the second half we started brightly but gave away a sloppy goal. And if you do that you give the other team some momentum and something to hold on to, and we made hard work of it.

“The third one was not really a free-kick but the goalie has got to do better as he is the wrong side of the wall.”

He added: “Sam Reed was excellent and I thought first half was the best we have passed it this season.”

* Tuesday’s defeat followed on from a money-spinning 1-0 victory in the FA Trophy at Faversham Town on Saturday, with the Blues pocketing £2,500 in prize money courtesy of Remi Garrett’s 77th-minute strike, coming after Faversham’s John Scarborough had been sent off.

Chenery’s side have been drawn at home to Kings Langley in the first round proper of the competition on Saturday, October 31 (3pm).


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More