Home   Sport   Article

MATCH REPORT: Bury let two goal lead slip away

ON TARGET: Josh Mayhew scored Bury's second at Aveley
ON TARGET: Josh Mayhew scored Bury's second at Aveley


After flying into a two goal lead at Aveley last night, Bury Town managed to end up losing 3-2 as they suffered their fourth straight defeat to leave the previously play-off chasing Blues marooned in mid table.

Defender Darcy De’ath and striker Josh Mayhew had the Suffolk visitors 2-0 up and seemingly cruising to victory inside 20 minutes, before a goal pulled back by Abs Seymour five minutes before the break swung momentum back in Aveley’s favour, who went on to score two unanswered goals after the re-start.

Bury started the game the brightest and from an attack with only two minutes on the clock they signalled their intent with Mayhew bursting down the wing only for his tasty cross to beat everyone as it flew across goal.

Mid-table Aveley responded with Liam Nash hitting a shot just wide of the post before Bury took the lead on 10 minutes.

An Ollie Canfer corner was picked up by Connor Hall who played the ball in to De’ath to score with a solid strike.

Aveley should have got level on 14 minutes when a cross in fell to Perry Dunn but somehow his strike went wide when he looked certain to score.

David Fallah went close to equalising for the hosts five minutes later with a shot from distance which the wind took past Neil O’Sullivan, but it went just wide of the far post.

Bury doubled their advantage though in the 19th minute with Mayhew beating the defence to go through on goal and slot his shot past the ‘keeper.

Ben Chenery’s side were in control but the warning signs were there as Nash again beat the Bury defence and went around O’Sullivan but could not make his strike count from a tight angle.

Aveley did pull a goal back a minute later when a Seymour free-kick was deflected off the Bury wall and into the back of the net.

The Blues had a chance to restore their two-goal lead just before the break when Ollie Hughes went down the wing and found Canfer in the centre, but his shot lacked power as the keeper made an easy save.

Aveley took the game to Bury second half and with the Blues struggling to get out of their own half for most of the second 45 mintues it was not long before the home side equalized.

On 48 another poorly defended free-kick broke to Dunn on the far post who could not miss from close range.

O’Sullivan was then called into action to make a good save from Pindy, while Nash soon saw a header bounce off the crossbar.

Arian Retkoceri showed great skill on 71 minutes finding Pindy with an excellent cross but his shot was deflected out for a corner.

A minute later Brian Okwera had his header cleared off the line by De’ath to keep the scores level, but that did not last long as the pressure finally told in the 75th minute.

Out on the wing, Billy Coyne crossed a deep ball in to the box and caught O’Sullivan out as he got a hand to it at full stretch but palmed it in to his own net to see the hosts go ahead.

Bury had a chance to level soon after but Mayhew’s header was off target as it went high over the bar.

Tensions on the pitch spilled over as the half came to an end with two confrontations and multiple players squaring up to each other close to the final whistle. But the referee did well to calm things down as the game ended.

Following Saturday’s 3-1 reverse at Tilbury, it was another game where Bury, now seven games without a win, had lost after going ahead with the Blues now 12th and 16 points off a play-off place with eight games remaining.

with the league campaign now all over, Bury’s attention will turn to their re-arranged Suffolk Premier Cup semi-final against Vanarama Conference North side Lowestoft Town at Needham Market next Tuesday (March 22, 7.45pm).

That will follow Saturday’s home game with Thamesmead Town (3pm) who are currently sit in the play-off hunt in eighth place, five points off fifth-placed AFC Hornchurch with a game in hand.

Bury: O’Sullivan, Allen, Wigley, Collins (Hammett 88), De’ath, Weavers, Ingram, Hall, Hughes, Mayhew (Aitkens 77), Canfer. Unused sub: Kennedy.

Free Press Man of The Match: Josh Mayhew

Attendance: 80


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More