Home   Sport   Article

Last-gasp penalty miss costs Bury valuable points



Bury 22 Redruth 23

A last-gasp penalty miss by Chris Lord saw four valuable National Two league points slip from Bury’s grasp against Redruth.

In the end Bury had to be content with the one losing bonus point, but it was a game they could and should have won.

Bury were left kicking themselves for not making their first half dominance count while the visitors showed the nous and experience of playing at this level to control a large swathe of the second period.

The contest was a stop-start affair with Redruth flanker Kieran Westlake stretchered off after just eight minutes.

Both sides lost players along the way, including Westren and Parsons for Redruth and Beau Gibson and Tim Mann for Bury.

The Cornishmen were the first to take the lead, showing no ill effects of the 375 mile journey, through a Hosking penalty.

A penalty allowed the Bury forwards to drive up to the line and when the ball came back, a well-rehearsed move saw Matt Hema come in off his wing to take a reverse pass and glide in by the posts.

Lord added the extras to make it 7-3 after 20 minutes.

The re-start was a disaster for Redruth. Referee Alexis Manley spotted the Redruth players in front of the kicker and awarded Bury a scrum back on half way.

The ball went blind from the scrum and Lord burst through a gap, chipped over the advancing Nonu and won the race to his own kick to put the hosts 12-3 in front.

A second Hosking penalty narrowed the gap to 12-6 going into the interval.

Lord quickly extended Bury’s lead with a penalty shortly after the restart.

Hooker Richard Brown burrowed over for a Redruth try, which was converted by Hosking, before Brett Rule slid over for another score from close range to put the Cornish outfit narrowly in front.

Bury were comfortably kept at arm’s length and when Cowan Dickie made a storming break down the middle of the park, Bury were forced into conceding another penalty, which Hosking successfully kicked.

With the clock ticking down, finally Bury awoke from their slumbers.

Man-of the-match Matt Eddison charged down the blind side of the Redruth defence.

Quick ball went wide and Lord’s half break put Hema into space for a converted try.

The final few minutes saw Redruth trying to close the game down as the hosts threw the proverbial kitchen sink at the visitors.

In the dying embers of the game, Redruth conceded a penalty 40 metres out on the left but, sadly for Lord and Bury, the resulting kick sailed just wide.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More