Hogg’s delighted to get back on track

Have your say


Rochford 36 Bury St Edmunds 54

BURY St Edmunds player-coach Gavin Hogg was left delighted after his 54-36 victory away to Rochford Hundred on Saturday.

The Haberden outfit suffered a 29-15 defeat to Colchester in their previous match, but after getting back to winning ways on their travels to Essex, Hogg couldn’t hide his delight at the response of the team.

“I’m absolutely delighted we managed to get the win,” he said

“It was our priority to make sure we got a result after suffering a defeat last time out.

“At this stage of the season you are always looking for an improvement and when you need to, bounce back and get some positives to put yourself back in a good position.”

Bury scored within 2 minutes of the kick off.

A kick into the corner and subsequent line-out allowed centre Kenny Eggars to crash over. Krammer’s simple conversion made it 7-0.

Rochford quickly narrowed the gap with a penalty and took the lead when some weak tackling allowed the host’s number eight the chance to score.

However it took Bury only minutes to regain the lead, winger Jo Flexman in space to run in untouched.

Minutes later, Bury extended their lead. Nick Flexman’s crunching tackle forced a turnover, which saw Tim Mann score.

Rochford used their numerical advantage, after Jo Winter was sent to the sin bin, to close the gap, exploiting weak Bury tackling to score under the sticks for 15-17.

A regulation penalty kick into the corner allowed skipper Tony Fox the chance to score, before Eggars scored his second try, bursting through some poor defending.

Briggs converted, along with a penalty just before half time to make it 32-15.

In the second half, the intensity from the visitors was lacking and it took 15 minutes before they finally cut loose.

Barry Frost made an outstanding catch to escape his markers and, after linking up with Jo Flexman, was unlucky to be hauled down inches from the line. Jo Davis was in support to take the pass to touch down.

Briggs added the extras and a penalty shortly after to make it 42-15.

Rochford’s attacking running resulted in their third try courtesy of an overlap on the right wing.

In the final quarter, both sides exchanged tries. Tim Mann blasted down the wing to make it 49-22, only for Rochford to respond with a try as they executed a well worked catch and drive from a penalty.

Bury responded, with skipper Fox orchestrating a well worked catch and drive to see Bury over the 50 points mark.

However lackadaisical defending allowed Rochford to score the final try of the day.