Wickhambrook maintain unbeaten run in ten-goal thriller

Have your say

Our latest round-up of youth football from the weekend’s action.



Wickhambrook 5 Wisbech St Mary 5

WICKHAMBROOK kept their unbeaten run intact, after sharing 10 goals with back-to-back league champions Wisbech St Mary.

James Percy crossed from the right for Tom Pinker to thump home, only for Wisbech to level.

David Crowley grabbed a second for Wickhambrook before Pinker made it 3-1.

Crowley then grabbed a fourth but Wisbech responded spectacularly, scoring four goals to take the lead.

However, Pinker completed his hat-trick for a share of the points.


Lakenheath 7 Saffron Hawks 2

HAT-TRICK hero Kieron Danbrowsky stole the show as Lakenheath ran out clear winners.

Two goals each from Piotr Babicz and Callum Thorogood completed the rout, while a penalty save from Terry Archer capped off a strong defensive display involving Connor Knight, Dan Johansen, Jack Self and Chris Walker.


Bury Town 6 Walsham-le-Willows 0

BURY eased through to the next round with an emphatic victory at home to Walsham-le-Willows.

An even opening period was shattered when Thomas Buckle and Max Stubbs scored in quick succession to put the hosts in command.

Josh Atkinson got on the scoresheet, before Stubbs raced on to Ronan Campbell’s long kick to grab his second and Bury’s fourth.

Seb Lingard continued the dominance with a fine strike, which was added to shortly afterwards by Atkinson from close range to complete the rout.



Colt Jags 0 Brandon Lasses 8

A FIRST-HALF hat-trick from Sam Cole proved pivotal as Brandon overpowered their hosts.

Further goals from Amy Skipp, Millie Bales and a deflected corner from Chloe Slater in the opening half put the visitors in a commanding position going into the break.

The pressure did not let up after the restart as Skipp added two further goals to also complete her hat-trick and round off a sensational performance from the Lasses.

Witnesham Wasps 2 Thurston 3

THURSTON travelled to Witnesham Wasps and came out on top in a close encounter with a narrow 3-2 win.

The visitors started well and opened the scoring through Jack Halistone, which was soon added to by Tom Crichton from an assist by Marc Holliday.

With the half coming to a close, Hailstone grabbed his second to put Thurston in a strong position going into the break.

However, they were given a scare in the second half as Wasps scored twice, but the visitors held on for victory.



Brandon Lasses 5

Cornard Dynamos 2

AN IMPRESSIVE two-goal turnaround saw the Brandon Lasses cruise to victory over Cornard Dynamos.

However, it was the visitors who opened the scoring with a blistering counter-attack, before doubling their advantage shortly after.

Sam Cole was introduced into midfield with an instant impact, scoring three times to turn the game around and give Brandon the advantage.

The second half started with the Lasses attacking, with both Darcey Root and Stewart getting on the scoresheet to seal the win.


Bury Town 2 Needham Market 4

BURY Town were dumped out of the competition after defeat to Needham Market.

The visitors started with strong intent and soon raced into a three-goal lead.

Just before half-time, Bury were awarded a penalty following a foul on Chris Cogan and Thomas Beale confidently dispatched to reduce the deficit.

After the interval, Bury pulled back another goal through Tom Manning, but any chance of claiming something from the match were extinquished as Needham grabbed a fourth to clinch progression.


Ipswich Valley Rangers 0 Elmswell 7

ELMSWELL travelled in the first round of the competition and came away with a 7-0 win.

For the first 20 minutes, the game was end-to-end, but three quick goals in the last 10 minutes of the first half from Henry Walshe, Josh Mealey and Sam MacDonald gave Elmswell the advantage.

The visitors started the second half brightly with a double from Barnaby Morgan, before further goals from Rhys Taylor and Henry Walshe saw Elmswell through to the next round.


Moreton Hall Blue 1

Moreton Hall Black 6

A dominant performance from Moreton Hall Black ensured progression in an all-Moreton Hall encounter.

Will Stobbart broke the deadlock, before Harrison Milner doubled the visitors’ advantage before half-time.

The Blacks dominated the second period, with Kurtis Lebbon, Aiden Sturgeon and a Harris Lister double putting the tie to bed.

The Blues deservedly got on the scoresheet when Arthur McCourt finished well, but Hall advanced to the next round.


Stowmarket Town Hornets 1

Bury Town Dynamos 4

A STRONG first-half display ensured Bury Town Dynamos clinched victory.

Ed Shepard started the scoring early on before Will West doubled the advantage.

A well-delivered corner from Daniel Ranson was firmly met by Shepard to add his second, which was followed by the hosts reducing the deficit from a corner of their own.

The Dynamos pressed again and good build-up saw Renny Walker claim his first goal of the season to finish the afternoon’s scoring.



Bury Town 2 Brandon Lasses 2

BURY Town Girls entertained last year’s league winners and settled for a share of the spoils.

Bury got off to a flying start with Grace Clancy scoring a quick-fire double.

Chloe Manning saved a penalty before Brandon scored to reduce the deficit before the break.

The visitors pushed forward after the restart and pulled level with a spectacular long-range effort.

The pressure continued but strong defensive displays from Ceri Flye, Niamh Matthews-Green, Robyn Lawrence and Jess Daniel ensured the match remained level.



Surlingham 3 Brandon Lads 1

BRANDON Lads suffered their first defeat of the season at league leaders Surlingham.

The home side started brightly and eventually opened the scoring at the start of the second quarter.

Brandon’s hopes were revived when West drilled home the equaliser direct from a free-kick, but the home side went straight up the other end to regain the lead, before adding a third to round off proceedings.



Risby A 2 Norton 1

RISBY progressed to the second round of the Knockout Cup with a fine team performance.

Risby had much of the first-half possession, but a superb Norton goal from outside the area left the home side trailing at half-time.

However, a fine strike from Patrick Fisher Butler, from an acute angle, and a second from Luka Gelevski during a goalmouth melee put Risby in the driving seat.

A man-of-the-match performance from Alfie Burrows in midfield, and great defending by Alex Nunn and Ben Flux ensured the victory was sealed.


Risby B 1 Norton 0

A SINGLE goal settled this evenly-matched school B-team friendly to maintain Risby’s unbeaten start to the season.

A fine strike from Risby forward Ben Palmer after 10 minutes broke the deadlock and proved the difference between the sides.

A superb save by Risby goalkeeper Harry Jennings denied a certain equaliser, to keep the hosts’ lead intact.