Weekend round-up: Bury rugby close on leaders and Bury Town out of bottom four

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Have your say

Front row forward Brad Cook was the unlikely hero with the boot as he kicked 15 points to guide Bury St Edmunds to a 30-26 victory overseas at Guernsey in National Three London and South East.

Bury put in a performance of heart and determination to see off a Guernsey side clearly much improved than some of their recent results would suggest.

Loma Kivalu, Jesse Rush and Tristan Rawcliffe added tries as Bury took full advantage of table-topping Westcombe Park’s shock home loss to Hertford to close the gap at the summit.

Stowmarket were narrowly beaten 31-29 at West Norfolk in London Three North East, while — in Greene King IPA Eastern Counties League Division One — Thurston were beaten at Southwold and Thetford at home to Crusaders.

Mildenhall and Red Lodge lost at home to leaders Bury St Edmunds III in Division Two West.

In football, Bury Town lifted themselves out of the Ryman League Premier Division relegation zone with a 2-1 victory over Tonbridge Angels at Ram Meadow.

Although Tom Parkinson headed the Angels into the lead at the end of a dominant opening half an hour, Bury were the better side for the remainder of the match and levelled through Jack Willbye before Connor Hall smashed home the winner midway through the second half.

Needham Market suffered a 2-0 defeat at Aveley in Ryman One North to slip four points behind leaders Harlow Town, although with a game in hand.

In the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division, there were away defeats for Mildenhall Town and Walsham-le-Willows, but Thetford Town earned a point in a 1-1 draw with Whitton United thanks to a James Dean goal.

Stowmarket Town lost 1-0 at home to Saffron Walden Town in the First Division, but Needham Market Reserves stunned high-flying March Town United with a 2-1 victory.

In the Sky Bet Championship, Ipswich Town blew a two-goal advantage to share a 2-2 draw with Huddersfield Town, while Norwich City were held to a goalless draw at Sheffield Wednesday.