Weekend round-up: Biggest away win of the season for Bury Town

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Have your say

Bury Town’s late season revival continued when coming from behind to register their biggest away league victory of the season at Lewes on Saturday.

The Blues, who fell behind to Joel Ledgister’s 16th-minute header, could have levelled when Joe Whight’s penalty was kept out, but Liam Wales levelled before the interval and fellow youngsters Tevan Allen, Anthony Roulston and Ross Bailey all scored to rack up a 4-1 result.

Bury host Suffolk rivals Lowestoft Town on Easter Monday (3pm) — follow the match live at www.buryfreepress.co.uk/sport/live-sport

Needham Market dropped two points in their race for the play-offs as they drew 1-1 at home to Harlow Town on Saturday.

Ryan Crisp scored the Marketmen’s goal, but George Smith’s cross slipped through the grasp of goalkeeper Andrew Plummer to hand Harlow a share of the spoils seven minutes from time.

Thetford Town remained in the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division drop zone despite fighting back to snatch a 3-3 draw at Mildenhall Town in the third minute of stoppage time.

Sam Bryant hooked the Brecklanders in front, but Aaron Turner’s hat-trick put Hall in charge.

However, Jordan Rocastle pulled one back before Ian Fancett struck a superb 25-yard equaliser with almost the last kick of the match.

Walsham-le-Willows won 3-2 at Hadleigh United to knock the Brettsiders off the top of the table — the WIllows host Diss Town on Easter Monday (3pm), another game you can follow live by logging on to www.buryfreepress.co.uk/sport/live-sport

In the First Division, Needham Market Reserves thrashed AFC Sudbury Reserves 7-0 and Team Bury edged out Stowmarket Town 2-1.

Norwich City were beaten 3-2 by leaders Liverpool in the Barclays Premier League on Sunday, while Ipswich Town remained outside of the play-off places in the Sky Bet Championship after suffering a 3-1 defeat at Watford.

On the opening day of the new cricket season, Bury St Edmunds started slowly before taking charge of their match at local rivals Woolpit in the East Anglian Premier League, but they had to settle for a winning draw after failing to take the hosts’ final wicket.