Two off as Bury crash out of FA Cup at Magpies

FLASH POINT: Players from both side clash in the incident that resulted in Luke Ingram (hidden) being sent off
FLASH POINT: Players from both side clash in the incident that resulted in Luke Ingram (hidden) being sent off
Have your say

Lee Reed was beating himself up over the glorious chance he missed after nine-man Bury Town’s FA Cup adventure ended at Dorchester Town.


Dorchester Town 3

Bury Town 1

by Derek Bish

at the Avenue Stadium

Lee Reed was beating himself up over the glorious chance he missed after nine-man Bury Town’s FA Cup adventure ended at Dorchester Town.

The midfielder gave a man-of-the-match display against the Blue Square Bet South high-flyers in the final qualifying round, but red cards to Luke Ingram and Tom Bullard ultimately left the Blues with too much to do.

Charlie Clough and Nick Crittenden scored before Connor Hall gave Bury hope in the last minute, but the home side’s Ben Watson sealed their passage to a first round tie with League Two outfit Plymouth Argyle in the 95th minute.

“I had a great chance at 1-0 down,” said Reed.

“You can play as well as you want, but I had to score and I didn’t.

“Even with 10 men I thought we would go on and win that because other chances would come, but it just wasn’t to be.”

Bury made two changes to the starting XI that lost 1-0 to Harrow Borough last week, with Jordan Patrick replacing John Sands (groin) — who dropped to the bench — while Connor Hall returned from a hamstring niggle in place of the cup-tied Craig Parker.

The Blues fell behind in just the seventh minute to the confident home side.

Sam Nunn had averted danger by slicing Jake Gosling’s low cross behind from inside his own six-yard box, but he failed to properly pick up Charlie Clough from the resultant flag-kick and the giant centre-half headed in at the far left post after Bury allowed the ball to make its way through.

Marcus Garnham had to be alert to deny Clough from another Gosling set piece, with Jamie Gleeson volleying the follow up over before Sam Reed fired the Suffolk side’s first effort tamely at Jason Matthews.

However, that was the start of a mini resurgence by the visitors, who grew more and more into the game by controlling the midfield, with Lee Reed running the show.

It was from the left-footed midfielder’s right-wing corner that Nunn nearly made amends for his earlier error, heading the ball down against the foot of the far post before his wonderful reverse pass was dragged wide of the post by brother Sam right at the end of the opening 45 minutes.

Bury were so much in charge of midfield that home boss Phil Simkin sacrificed top scorer Jamie Reid at the break to add midfielder Jamie Symes to the team in a bid to stifle the Blues’ control.

However, it was not the tactical switch that swung the match dramatically in Dorchester’s favour when a melee ensued after Sam Reed had been bundled over by Clough.

Several players were involved, but a push by Ingram was deemed the only offence worthy of a red card by referee Adam Hopkins and assistant Andrew Quin after consultation between the two match officials.

The Blues were not happy with the decision, especially that no Dorchester player was dismissed with arms and legs flying everywhere, with only a yellow card dished out to Clough when Jake Smeeton appeared to kick Sam Reed on the floor.

Despite that, Bury continued to threaten and Mark Coulson had a great chance to level when released by Lee Reed, but attempted to square the ball to Hall rather than shoot himself and the move broke down.

In reply, Gleeson struck the outside of the post before Ashley Nicholls’ long-range strike was palmed round the post by Garnham.

Sam Reed limped off with a nasty gash to his knee to be replaced by John Sands, who immediately had a hand in the Blues’ best chance to equalise when his shot was deflected into the path of Lee Reed, whose only mistake all game was to lob the ball over the crossbar rather than just dink his volley over Matthews and into the net.

From that chance to equalise, Bury found their mission near enough impossible 18 minutes from time when Bullard lunged recklessly into a challenge and brought down Symes.

The visiting skipper received a red card from the referee, while Symes was stretchered off in a leg brace and later diagnosed with a badly-bruised shin.

Garnham tipped over a fierce drive from Neil Martin as the Magpies looked to put the game to bed and they finally got a second when the home side toyed with Bury’s nine men in the penalty area before Mark Jermyn clipped a cross to Nick Crittenden, who headed into the net from close range.

That was apparently game over, but Bury kept their hopes alive of the most unlikely of comebacks when Connor Hall smashed in from close range after Coulson’s deep free-kick had been headed across goal by Nunn.

Another Coulson free-kick deep into stoppage time had the Dorchester fans extremely nervous, but the Magpies broke and Gosling crossed low to Ben Watson, who tucked home the final goal from close range, much to the clear relief of everyone from Dorset inside the Greene King-sponsored Avenue Stadium.

Man-of-the-match Lee Reed added: “In the long run, we have to build on this performance and prove we do belong at a higher level otherwise everything is wasted.

“We are out of the FA Cup and out of the FA Trophy so our eyes are all on the league now.”