Thetford are on cloud nine after netting cup final spot

Have your say



Thetford Town 9 Norwich St Johns 0

THETFORD Town manager Mark Scott believes his side are capable of lifting the Norfolk Senior Cup after an emphatic 9-0 semi-final victory over Norwich St Johns on Saturday.

The Brecklanders managed to avoid an upset against their lower league visitors after braces from Steve Harley, Matt Dixon and Steve Davies and further strikes from Matt Howard, Simon Mann and Bruno Tavares ensured victory.

The result secured Town’s place at Carrow Road on Monday, May 14 where they will face Gorleston after they defeated Norwich City Reserves 2-1 and Scott is determined to claim the trophy they last won 21 years ago.

“No disrespect to them but the difference in class really shone through, It was a totally emphatic victory and a top class performance,” he said.

“This is huge for the club and everybody can look forward to the final now.

“Last year we narrowly missed out and that was bitterly disappointing so this has certainly put that right today and these lads deserve their day at Carrow Road.

“However we are not just going to Carrow Road for a day out, we’re going there to win it, simple as that .”

The hosts started brightly and despite seeing a Dixon penalty saved after four minutes, opened the scoring just a minute later from the resulting corner.

Tom Cusack’s inswinging delivery from the right found Harley at the back post who brought the ball down before turning and smashing the ball past keeper Brad Vincent.

The striker then doubled his and Thetford’s lead 14 minutes later volleying home a stinging right foot shot before substitute Davies extended their advantage in the 29th minute, racing on to Martin Carter’s long ball to slot home with a neat finish, giving the home side a commanding lead.

Immediately after the interval, Luke Tuttle spurned the visitors’ only real clear chance of giving themselves a glimmer of hope, firing straight at Ian Fancett from six yards out, before the home side steam rolled their way to a 35-minute goal blitz to end the contest.

After 52 minutes Dixon was gifted another chance from the spot after Harvey was brought down and the striker made no mistake sending his effort into the bottom left corner.

Dixon then turned provider 20 minutes later racing on to Liam Bolton’s through ball to cross for substitute Mann to volley home.

After 81 minutes Davies grabbed his second, collecting Mann’s pass before drilling a low right foot shot past Vincent as the visitors capitulated, conceding a further three goals.

Dixon bagged his brace with a calm right foot finish in the 85th minute before centre-half Howard got in on the act, reacting quickest after Dixon’s header from Cusack’s corner came back off the bar, to head home.

And deep into injury time Bruno Tavares, returning from injury, rounded off the memorable victory racing on to Dixon’s throughball before coolly lobbing the ball over a stranded Vincent to book Thetford’s place in the final.

Thetford: Fancett, Joseph (Davies 16), Bailey, Carter, Howard, Morphew, Bolton (Tavares 77), Cusack, Harley (Mann 70), Dixon, O’ Donnell

Attendance: 95

Referee: Mr. N Kennedy

Bookings: Thetford: Howard (dissent), Bolton (foul), Norwich St Johns: Bussens (foul), Racher (foul), Fewtrwll (foul), Kay (foul), Matthews (foul), Haliday (foul)

Red Cards: None.


Thetford Town Norwich St Johns

Shots on target: 13 4

Shots off target: 4 2

Woodwork: 1 0

Corners: 8 5

Offsides: 4 3

Free kicks conceded: 4 5

n Thetford Town suffered defeat in their First Division Knockout Cup quarter final encounter against March Town, losing 1-0 on Tuesday night. Ondre Odain netted the only goal at Munford Road to eliminate the Brecklanders.

n Tomorrow Town entertain Cornard United tomorrow (3pm) before Tuesday’s visit of Downham to Mundford Road (7.45pm).

n Meanwhile the reserves had a good 4-0 win at Walsham Le Willows, with Szyszlyk. Bowden, Piggott and Rocha getting on the scoresheet.