Smith shows touch of class to set Blues on their way

ON THE MARK: Kieran Leabon celebrates his goal with Sam Reed
ON THE MARK: Kieran Leabon celebrates his goal with Sam Reed
Have your say



Bury Town 3 Horsham 0

RICHARD Wilkins hailed a goal of ‘different class’ that set Bury Town on their way to a comprehensive victory over bottom club Horsham.

In-form midfielder Lee Smith finished a delightful flowing move by playing a one-two with Kieran Leabon and guiding a deft volleyed lob over visiting custodian Michael Hunter to put the Blues in front inside quarter of an hour.

Kieran Leabon and Lee Reed completed the scoring by half-time and only a string of fine saves by Hunter kept Bury from racking up their biggest win of the season.

“Lee Smith’s goal was different class,” said Bury boss Wilkins. “If Arsenal or Barcelona had scored that, people would have been saying it was fantastic – it was super play.

“Lee’s made it with a one-two with Kieran – it was a great ball from Kieran and a lovely finish. That put us on our way.

“When you play teams at the bottom like Horsham you can get edgy.

“We missed a couple of good opportunities and were just starting to get a bit edgy, but that bit of class calmed us down.”

The move for Bury’s opener began at right-back with Callum Kearns switching the play to Mark Coulson.

After the ball had been shifted up the left-hand touchline to Smith, the former Histon midfielder cut inside and gave the ball to Leabon, who clipped it over the defence for Smith to burst on to the return pass and guide his volley over Hunter.

Another one-two could have led to goal number two on the half-hour-mark when Sam Reed exchanged passes with Smith before capitalising on Charlie Farmer’s miskick, only to see his fierce shot kept out by Hunter.

However, Bury only had to wait another three minutes to double their advantage.

Leabon’s header from John Sands’ cross was scrambled on to the post by Hunter, only for Leabon to be quickest to react to the rebound and force the ball home on the line.

Bury’s third came five minutes before the break when Smith caused more havoc on the left and squared the ball to Sam Reed, whose shot was saved by Hunter before brother Lee Reed nipped in to tuck it home.

Horsham – with just one win since last August – belied their disastrous league position by demonstrating some decent football at times and deserved a goal for their play at the start of the second period.

Ray Freeman had a strike disallowed for offside, Tom Bullard needed to be alert to nip in and deflect Daniel Morris’ effort wide and Farmer forced Marcus Garnham into a superb one-handed stop.

At the other end, the Reed brothers were both brilliantly denied by Hunter.

The last shot of the match went to Morris, who saw his effort parried by Garnham, but Bury had done more than enough to be allowed to play the second 45 minutes with their foot off the gas.

Bury: Garnham 7, Kearns 7, Coulson 7, Kennedy 8, Hipperson 6, Bullard 7, SMITH 8, Sands 7 (Cunningham 71, 6), S Reed 7, L Reed 7 (Short 84, 6), Leabon 7 (Key 81, 6). Sub not used: Nunn.



Shots on target 12 4

Shots off target 5 4

Woodwork 0 0

Corners 5 1

Offsides 2 4

FK conceded 13 6

Bookings: Bury: None. Horsham: Dunne (foul).

Red cards: None.

Referee: Keith Yeo.

Attendance: 360.