Second defeat for 10-man Bury at Stones

editorial image
Have your say



Wealdstone 3 Bury Town 1

A DISAPPOINTING display by Bury, albeit with 10 men for an hour, saw them slip to a second defeat in five matches against a side who were still looking for their first win.

From the first whistle, the hosts pushed forward and the Bury defence were troubled by high balls over the top. Most of the play was in the Bury half, with little seen of the Bury attack.

Wealdstone were dominating possession but were unable to seriously trouble Marcus Garnham as their final ball often lacked accuracy. A succession of corners for the home side failed to bring any tangible reward.

A pivotal decision by the referee after 31 minutes saw Kieran Leabon sent off for what he saw as a deliberate elbow on Lee Chappell,

Wealdstone continued to have more of the play but, in the 40th minute, Bury surprisingly took the lead. A Mark Coulson free-kick was headed back across goal by Roscoe Hipperson and Sam Reed nodded home from close range.

In the final minute of the half, Wealdstone came close to scoring with a header that hit the far post.

Wealdstone started the second half brightly and Garnham made a great block at point-blank range at the expense of an injury to his hip. Further fine saves denied Alex Dyer and Kurtney Brooks as Wealstone continued to press.

On 62 minutes, Wealdstone finally broke through. Bury failed to clear their lines from a free-kick and the ball fell to Kieran Knight, whose deflected shot gave Garnham no chance.

Four minutes later, Wealdstone took the lead when Knight slotted home after a neat exchange of passes.

Yet another brilliant save by Garnham denied Richard Jolly as Wealdstone again cut through the Bury defence.

Garnham was unable to continue, and was replaced on 73 minutes by debutant Stephen Fenner. Three minutes later, he was beaten by a low drive from Dyer after a clever flick by Jolly.

Bury tried hard to get back into the game, and were denied what looked a stone wall penalty when Sam Reed was brought down, but they were unable to make much impression on the home defence.I forgot to Attendance 501.

Bury: Garnham (Fenner 73); Short; Coulson; Kennedy (Bullard 77); Nunn; Hipperson; L Smith; Leabon; S Reed; L Reed; S Smith (Nurse 66). Unused subs: Ingram; Hunter.

Attendance: 501.