Football: Bury Town hit for six

Share this article

Bury Town 1, Ipswich Town 6 A bumper crowd of 1,926 were entertained to a sparkling performance by Ipswich Town at Ram Meadow.

The Championship outfit, captained by former Bury Town favourite Ian Miller, raced out of the blocks, repeatedly attacking on both wings, and took the lead through Billy Clarke on three minutes.

Danny Haynes proved too hot to handle for the hosts throughout the match, and he doubled the visitors' lead on 21 minutes with a sweet left foot finish from just inside the area.

Bury, who lacked their normal cohesion, were offering little in attack.

After a goal-mouth scramble, Clarke was deemed to have bundled the ball over the line for the Tractor Boys' third, but anyone of four could have got the final touch, including two Bury defenders.

Dean Greygoose denied Clarke a first-half hat-trick moments later with an acrobatic save to his left, after the Town striker and burst through a static defence once again.

Bury grew in stature as the half progressed, with debutant Ian Cambridge firing a free-kick narrowly wide and Danny Cornwell starting to surge forward from central midfield.

However, any chance of an unlikely comeback was extinguished on the stroke of half-time.

On the break, the Football League side produced some enterprising football on the right wing, before Owen Garvan curled home a wonderful strike from 25 yards for 4-0.

But Bury did not give up and their best spell of the match came early in the second half, with front-men Cambridge and Sam Reed beginning to link well.

Following some sustained pressure, a deep cross from the right was flicked on by Cambridge and there was Scott Chaplin to show good composure before firing low and hard into the net.

Encouraged by this, Bury poured forward, but were soon left exposed at the back.

Clarke secured his hat-trick with a low finish before Bury were hit for six on 76 minutes.

Another powerful run from Haynes led to Kurt Robinson scoring a fortunate goal. The strike took a cruel deflection off a Bury defender, before looping over the helpless Greygoose.

Undeterred, Bury continued to press for a second goal late on, but the visitors stood firm for a convincing pre-season win.

How did Bury Town play? Send the sports editor your views.

Do not forget to buy your copy of the Bury Free Press on Friday for a full match report, reactions to the big match and pictures.