Injury-hit Blues are punished

FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Cray Wanderers

Pictured: Josh Mayhew after he scores his penalty ANL-160221-184526009
FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Cray Wanderers Pictured: Josh Mayhew after he scores his penalty ANL-160221-184526009



Maldon & Tiptree 3

Bury Town 1

Bury Town’s winless run extended to five league matches as they slipped to a 3-1 defeat away at Maldon & Tiptree last Saturday.

Injury-hit Bury got off to a slow start and soon found themselves behind as the home side took control.

On seven minutes a cross-field ball was picked up by Darren Mills, who hit a shot back across goal and past Bury keeper Neil O’Sullivan to give Maldon the lead.

Bury were struggling and on 13 minutes they were two goals down.

Former Needham Market striker Sam Newson got himself on the end of a good cross and fired home to double Maldon’s lead.

Bury then had a chance to pull a goal back in the 20th minute when a poor clearance from Maldon fell to Nick Ingram in the box, but the organised home defence were quick to clear the danger.

The visitors were now starting to grow into the game and on 40 minutes after a good spell of possession had a good penalty shout when Ollie Hughes was shoved from behind by Gavin Greenwood, only for the referee to wave away the appeals.

After the break it was Maldon again starting the quicker and they had the chance to score a third goal in the 49th minute when Phil Weavers brought down Newson inside the area.

However, O’Sullivan in the Bury goal was equal to Darren McQueen’s effort from 12 yards.

Following that lifeline, Bury began to press forward and got their reward on 61 minutes.

Remi Garrett took the ball down the wing and crossed in to Ingram, who headed his effort against the crossbar, and Josh Mayhew was in the perfect position to strike the rebound into the back of the net.

The pressure could not be sustained, though, and Maldon soon restored their two-goal advantage in the 67th minute with a slick attack.

From out wide McQueen went around Tevan Allen and into the box to slot home Maldon’s third goal.

Mayhew tried to get Bury going again on 75 minutes with a solo run down the wing and in towards goal, but the home keeper got down quick to save his shot with one hand.