Henderson’s magic seals Dale’s progression in cup

editorial image
Have your say

Ian Henderson heralded his own personal FA Cup 
‘magic moment’ after 
helping Rochdale into the fourth round.

The 28-year-old former Thetford Panthers player starred in his very own giant killing as his spectacular 83rd-minute volley, nominated goal of the round by ITV, helped seal one of the shocks of round to dump Sky Championship outfit Leeds United out of the competition in a 2-0 win and set up a tie with either Macclesfield Town or Sheffield Wednesday at Spotland.

“We put in a great performance against a very good team in Leeds and the boys warranted the result through hard work, determination and fundamentally good football,” said Henderson, speaking to Dale Player after the victory.

“All in all, I’m over the moon and so happy for the team and club as a whole.

“You train hard all your professional career for moments like that and people will say did you mean it? Of course I meant it because it went in.

“Fortunately the ball came to me at that magic moment, the technique was correct and I grabbed the goal.”

Former Bury Town player Ben Coker also booked his place in the fourth round of the competition after also being involved in another shock of the third round.

Now starring for League Two side Southend United, the left-back found himself caught up in a major flashpoint in the encounter with Millwall as Lions striker Jermaine Easter was sent off in the 44th minute after appearing to stamp on the 24-year-old.

With the man advantage, the Shrimpers seized the 
initiative with goals from Barry Corr, Will Atkinson, Michael Timlin and Ryan Leonard sealing a 4-1 success and clinch the reward of a glamour visit from Barclays Premier League side Hull City to Roots Hall.

At the other end of the cup shock scale, Bury St Edmunds-born Ed Upson helped Yeovil Town into the hat for the fourth round following a comfortable 4-0 win over League One promotion chasers Leyton Orient.

The former King Edward VI School pupil, who came on as a second-half substitute, has been rewarded with a trip to St Marys to face Premier League outfit Southampton.

All three of those cup ties will take place on Saturday, January 25 at 3pm.