Elenge returns to Bury in stalemate with Cheshunt

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Have your say



Bury Town 0 Cheshunt 0

by Alex Moss at Ram Meadow

After keeping a clean sheet in his first appearance back at Bury Town, Milton Elenge has revealed he was close to joining their Tuesday night opponents Cheshunt last week.

The Congolese central defender returned to Ram Meadow this week, and played his first game of the season in Bury’s draw with Cheshunt.

And after helping the Blues to their fourth clean sheet of the campaign, which in turn saw them extend their unbeaten record in Ryman League Division One North to 10 games following on from Saturday’s 3-2 win at bottom side Haringey Borough, Elenge explained how his move back to Bury came to fruition.

“The funny thing is I was meant to sign for Cheshunt,” he said. “I went there on Thursday and then I was meant to sign on Saturday, but I turned up late and they messed me about.

“I was thinking about Bury and I contacted Justin Miller and I asked him to contact the gaffer and ask him if he’d take me back and I’ll be ready to play.

“I’m here to do well and hopefully get Bury out of this league. It’s a good club and it would be good on my CV as well.”

Cheshunt had the better of the first-half chances, with Bury goalkeeper Neil O’Sullivan making an excellent save to flick Tom Bruno’s shot onto the post.

After the break Ben Chenery’s side posed more of a threat with Sam Reed, Bradley Barber and Remi Garrett all seeing second-half efforts saved by James May in the Cheshunt goal.

A late challenge on Town substitute Craig Nurse saw tempers flare as the match entered added time, with Blues captain Phil Weavers heading over from Barber’s free-kick in the last of the action as Bury maintained their unbeaten league record with a share of the points.

Bury Town: O’Sullivan, Allen, Paterson, Kennedy (Nurse 54), Elenge, Weavers (c), Garrett, Miller, Hughes, Bradley, Reed (Lampshire 78). Subs not used: De’ath, Punter, Collins. Attendance: 221.

n On Saturday, Bradley Barber fired the Blues into a fourth minute lead at Haringey from the penalty spot after David Lampshire was brought down, while a minute later Noel Aitkens made it 2-0.

Craig Nurse fired in from outside the box just before the half hour mark to make it 3-0 at the break, with second-half goals from Ashley Fashanu (47) and Daniel Ailey (83) setting up a nervy finish.