Confidence still high despite winless run

OFF TARGET: Sam Newson shows his disappointment after missing an opportunity
OFF TARGET: Sam Newson shows his disappointment after missing an opportunity
Share this article
Have your say



Needham Market 0

Waltham Abbey 0

Needham’s Sam Newson believes there are no issues with the squad’s confidence, despite seeing their winless run extended to seven matches.

In an encounter that was far from a great advertisement for non-League Day, the misfiring Marketmen were again left to rue a lack of compusre in front of goal, with Newson among the main culprits, seeing his tame 43rd-minute penalty saved easily by Jake Whincup, in what proved an ultimately costly miss.

However, despite conceding his disappointment at the outcome of the match, Newson is far from concerned about the confidence levels within the dressing room ahead of their trip to Ilford tomorrow (3pm).

“More than anything I’m just disappointed, our finishing let us down again,” he said.

“Obviously we haven’t won in a while and if it doesn’t change quickly then the pressure builds.

“However, I don’t think there is a problem with confidence among the squad and hopefully we can bounce back and start scoring freely again and push on.

“All we can is not let things get to us, keep plugging away and build on things for the rest of the season.”

In a bright opening period, the hosts enjoyed the greater share of possession and should have opened the scoring after just four minutes.

Jack Wilkinson found himself in space on left-hand side of the area, but spurned the opportunity, dragging his right foot shot wide of the post.

The Abbotts responded with a chance of their own after 23 minutes, but the dangerous Clark Akers saw his free-kick on the edge of the area curl narrowly wide of the right-hand upright.

After a period of little further chances, Needham were handed the perfect opportunity to break the deadlock as referee Sean Feerick adjudged Chrisitian Wheeler to have bundled Newson over in the penalty area.

Newson picked himself up but saw his weak spot-kick, marginally right of centre of the goal, saved well by Whincup, keeping the score level at the break.

The dramatic end to the opening half appeared to have vitalised the visitors after the interval as they came a toes width from snatching the lead in the 52nd minute.

James Peagram’s cross from the left hand side somehow found its way to Jack Daveney, but the winger saw his low effort deflected agonisingly wide by the outstretched foot of Louis Jonson.

The visitors countinued to pour forward, but failed to capitalise with Peagram next to spurn a clear opportunity in the 70th minute, shooting tamely at Johnson after Nathan Clark misjudged the flight of Chris Sargent’s long ball.

With 15 minutes left Newson was given another golden chance to win the match.

Racing on to Bradley Barber’s acute pass, he held off the challenge of Matt Bedford, but couldn’t hit the target, drilling his effort into the side netting.

It proved to be the final chance of the encounter, capping off a frustrating afternoon for the hosts.