Clinical finishing puts a depleted Bury to the sword

editorial image
Have your say

RYMAN LEAGUE PREMIER DIVISION: Bognor Regis Town 5 Bury Town 2: Bury Town suffered a heavy defeat at Bognor Regis Town for a second season running on Saturday as they slipped to a 5-2 defeat.

Bury were forced to change their line-up due to injury again, with three players from the previous match missing out through injury; Adam Bailey-Dennis, Russell Short and David Bridges all sitting out.

Bury had a good chance to take the lead when Billy Clark went through but he got clear of the goalkeeper, but shot into the side netting from a tight angle.

Bognor generally had the upper hand throughout the half through and scored their first goal of the game on 18 minutes when Terry Dodd headed home.

Despite their control, Bognor still only retained their one-goal advantage and Bury could have gone into the break level when Shane Tolley had a great chance but this went wide.

Any chance Bury had of getting back into the match was dealt a huge blow eight minutes after half-time when Dodd added his, and Bognor’s second goal of the game to put daylight between the two sides. Things soon got worse for the Suffolk visitors when, in the 64th minute, Joe Whight was alleged to have made a foul in the box and Ben Johnson made no mistake from the spot kick to make it 3-0.

Bury were given a lifeline four minutes later when a corner from Jordan Patrick was cleared only as far as Clark, who fired home from the edge of the area to give the Blues some hope.

But their defensive frailties were exposed once again in the 79th minute when Dodd completed his hat-trick.

To their credit, Bury refused to give up and were rewarded with a second goal on 85 minutes when a cross into the box was headed into the corner of the net by Tolley.

Looking for a third goal, Bury were left exposed when a corner was cleared and John Kennedy’s slip in possession was punished as Kane Willis added a simple fifth, despite a hint of offside, to complete the scoring.

n Former Bury goalkeeper Nick Pope made his debut for Sky Bet League Two side York City on Saturday, after making a one-month loan switch to former Norwich City manager Nigel Worthington’s side from Charlton Athletic last Friday.

nBury Town Under-18s’ FA Youth Cup journey came to an end as they suffered a 9-0 defeat away at professional outfit Cheltenahm Town.

Despite the result there was a host of promising performances, including Tevan Allen, who came closest to scoring for Bury.

Coach Richard Wilkins said: “It was tricky for them, but good experience. They can be proud of the run they had in this competition and will be will equipped for an even better run next year.”

n The Under-17s enjoyed better fortunes as they eased to a 4-1 victory over Walsham-le-Willows.

Mason Grieg and Jed Wigley were among the scorers in what proved a comfortable afternoon.