Changes afoot at the back for Wingate game

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Have your say

Miles Smith may have played his last match for Bury Town, with the defender’s future set to be resolved before tomorrow’s Ryman League Premier Division encounter with Wingate and Finchley.

Although Blues boss Ben Chenery was remaining tight-lipped about the reasons for the ex-Histon man’s absence from Tuesday’s 1-0 defeat to Lewes, he did confirm Smith would also miss tomorrow’s match.

Bury’s defensive ranks could instead feature a new face for their final home match before Christmas, with Chenery hoping to conclude a deal as the Free Press went to print yesterday.

The rock-bottom Blues hit a new low with a dreadful display as they slumped to a 4-1 loss at Witham Town on Saturday and although they were better in a 1-0 defeat at fellow strugglers Lewes on Wednesday, their losing run was stretched to six games to leave them seven points adrift of safety.

“I’ll try and take the pressure off them in certain ways, but I have demanded things of them and man for man they were excellent at Lewes,” said Chenery. “The goal Lewes scored was dreadfully unfortunate.

“It hit the back of one of their forwards and fell right to the feet of someone, who smashed it in.

“I can’t knock their character — I’m proud after Saturday they didn’t go the wrong way.

“Saturday will be another telling game for their character.

“They have delivered once, they need to deliver for another 20 games.”

Chenery hopes to welcome back flying winger Jordan Patrick (thigh) and Ipswich Town loanee Jack Willbye (knee) from injury tomorrow, while teenager Tevan Allen could be in line for a start.

n Bury Town put in a much-improved display at relegation rivals Lewes, but still slipped to a 1-0 defeat to remain at the foot of the Ryman League Premier Division.

The first opportunity fell to Lewes on 16 minutes when Matt Crabb shot over.

Bury responded with a free-kick on 21 minutes by Callum Bennett, which forced a good save from Lewes keeper Rikki Banks.

The Blues had another great opportunity on 29 minutes when Kye Ruel whipped in a dangerous corner that was met by Joe Benjamin, whose scuffed shot was saved on the line by Banks.

Bury went behind on 32 minutes when a lucky deflection landed at the feet of Luke Blewden, who scored from close range.

The visitors almost pulled levelled on 42 minutes when another quality corner from Ruel was met by Connor Hall,forcing a brilliant save at point-blank range from Banks.

Bennett saved Bury in the last minute of the half when clearing a shot off the line from Blewden.

After the break, Bury continued to press forward looking for an equaliser.

Their best chance came in the 65th minute after a great throughball found Bury substitute Tevan Allen in the box.

He had two chances to score, but could not make them count and captain Seb Dunbar was sent off for a second yellow card a minute later as the Blues failed to find a leveller.