BURY Town have slammed Leyton Orient for the way they handled the attempted transfer of the Blues’ teenage sensation Connor Hall.
As exclusively revealed in the Free Press last Friday, 19-year-old Hall had been on trial with the npower League One outfit, who were keen to sign the left-footed player.
Although they indicated this to Hall, the Ram Meadow-based outfit claim no-one from the Londoners contacted them to make an offer, something that angered Bury’s director of football Trevor Collins.
“We did everything to make sure Connor didn’t miss an opportunity and the least they could have done was pick up the phone, so we are really disappointed,” said Collins.
“These clubs plead poverty and, yes, they probably are hard-up for cash, but they think they can grab all the best non-League players for nothing.
“We all know it’s only a matter of time before he does get a move into the Football League, but it’s got to be right for the lad and the club.
“I’m not expecting us to demand a huge fee, but it’s got to be fair.”
The Free Press understands Bury are not planning on reporting the O’s to the Football Association for an illegal approach, although Collins did say the Brisbane Road-based outfit had now ‘burned their bridges’ with Bury.
Despite the transfer speculation surrounding him, Hall featured in the Bury midfield on Saturday as they advanced to an FA Cup third qualifying round tie with fellow Ryman Premier side Hampton and Richmond Borough, courtesy of a 2-1 success over Wingate and Finchley.
The fixture with Hampton will take place on Saturday, October 6 (3pm), with the attentions of Hall and his team-mates on the FA Trophy when they host Whitehawk tomorrow (3pm).
“People have been expecting me to leave because of all that has happened, but that’s gone quiet and all I’m concerned about now is Bury,” said the youngster.
“I will still put 100 per cent into Bury, no matter what, and if another chance comes along I will give it my all again and hopefully something will come of it.
“However, if nothing happens, I’m still a Bury player and happy to be so.”
The Blues could stick with the same line-up for a fourth consecutive match, although new signing Jordan Patrick is pushing Luke Ingram hard for a start.
Callum Kearns and Elliot Hunter remain long-term knee injury victims, but John Sands (groin) – who was an unused substitute against Wingate – could feature for the first time since limping off at Hendon on August 25.
With Bury’s squad almost at full strength, Allicion Blake, who was cup-tied on Saturday, may feature for Woodbridge Town again tomorrow.
n The first of four Suffolk derbies featuring the Blues this season will take place at Ram Meadow when Leiston visit west Suffolk on Tuesday (7.45pm).