Boss Laws is delighted with magnificent seven

ON TARGET: Centre-half Gavin Johnson scored Needham's third with a cooly-taken left-foot strike. Picture by Mecha Morton
ON TARGET: Centre-half Gavin Johnson scored Needham's third with a cooly-taken left-foot strike. Picture by Mecha Morton
Have your say



Needham Market 7

Great Wakering Rovers 0

by Sam Murley at Bloomfields

NEEDHAM Market manager Danny Laws hailed his side’s performance after witnessing their 7-0 demolition of Great Wakering Rovers on Tuesday night.

The Marketmen threw away a two-goal lead on Saturday to draw away at Enfield Town and if the manager was looking for a response, his players more than delivered, scoring seven without reply and reducing goalkeeper Andrew Plummer to nothing more than a spectator as the visitors struggled to create one meaningful chance.

Even before the away side were reduced to 10 men just before the interval the result never looked in doubt.

A Danny Thrower brace was added to by, Danny Bloomfield, Gavin Johnson, Sam Newson, Ryan Foster and Deakin Napier as the hosts ran riot at Bloomfields, leaving Laws delighted with his side’s reaction in such emphatic style.

“The performance was important, especially after being two goals up and throwing the lead away on Saturday,” he said.

“We came into the game disappointed with Saturday and I got the same response as I did on Bank Holiday Monday against AFC Sudbury, with a performance of that level.

“Regardless of the score, I am always one to be critical of the performance and if we would have gone in 2-0 up at half-time I would have been happy. We passed it well, were brave in possession and we utilised a fantastic surface.”

The hosts started in blistering fashion, taking the lead in the second minute, with a penalty, after Bloomfield was hauled down by Lewis Sparrow. Thrower took responsibility and made no mistake tucking the ball into the bottom left corner.

They soon doubled their lead as Bloomfield lashed home a left-footed strike on the turn after Thrower smartly knocked down a Scott Chaplin cross in the 20th minute.

Thrower should have made it three, minutes later, after being put through one-on-one by the impressive Ryan Foster, however he could not take the opportunity as his low shot beat Godwin-Green but not the woodwork.

Instead it was left to veteran centre-half Johnson to show him how it should be done in the 42nd minute. Rolling back the years, he raced on to a Newson pass and cooly slotted his left-foot shot under the keeper into the far right corner.

Just before the interval, returning captain Rhys Barber was brought down by Sparrow in the box after a marauding run and in the ensuing melee, the offender was shown a straight red card for an off-the-ball incident.

Thrower scored at the second attempt after seeing his saved penalty fall back at his feet to tap into an empty net, giving the hosts a commanding lead at the break.

The relentless onslaught did not let up as just a minute into the restart Newson showed his lethal touch, smashing the ball on the turn into the far left corner, leaving Godwin-Green rooted to the spot.

The tiring ten men were struggling to cope as ten minutes later it was six.

Napier, on as a substitute, tormented Nikki Beale on the right before picking out Foster, who in acres of space curled a left-footed shot into the corner.

It was then the turn of Napier to get in on the act in the final minute. Racing on to a James Evans clearance, he calmly lifted the ball over the onrushing keeper to cap the convincing win.