Blues blow it against Boro’

Have your say



Bury Town 2 Harrow Borough 2

LEE Smith is enjoying life on the right-hand side of midfield, but he was left frustrated by Bury Town’s 2-2 draw with Harrow Borough on Saturday.

The Blues’ utility man has featured in a number of different positions this season as an injury crisis gripped Ram Meadow, but with a nearly fully-fit squad has regained his spot on the wing.

However, one goal and one assist from the ex-Histon man was not enough for Bury to see off Harrow, who bagged a late leveller in a topsy-turvy Ryman Premier encounter.

“It felt like a loss to concede after we had fought back from 1-0 to lead 2-1,” said Smith. “Everyone knows they were two sloppy goals we conceded.”

Speaking about being back in his favoured position, the 24-year-old added: “I’ve spoken to Wilks and he was the same sort of player, his worst curse was being able to play in a few different positions, so whenever there have been injuries I’ve slotted in.

“It’s frustrating at times, but I just keep my head down and carry on.”

Bury struggled to switch on after the enforced winter break and allowed Michael Barima to nearly run straight through them from kick-off before the same player forced Marcus Garnham into an excellent stop from point-blank range.

It seemed to take the Blues a while to get to grips with a sticky pitch and the visitors’ 3-5-2 formation, but when they did their build-up play was superb.

John Sands was denied by the outstretched leg of Jack Banham as he tried to round the goalkeeper.

Five minutes later, a dazzling 60-yard run from Lee Reed — showing strength and quick feet — ended with him slipping the ball to Kieran Leabon, but Banham was able to close the angle and make a smart save after the attacker took a heavy touch.

Sands twice diverted dangerous crosses off target at the far post, the first from Smith’s right-wing delivery, the second sent in by Danny Cunningham’s from the left.

However, Borough struck against the run of play when Connor Hall had to check his forward run to pick up Smith’s crossfield pass and was caught in possession upfield.

A long ball into the area vacated by the teenager should have been dealt with by Garnham, but the keeper stayed on his line, allowing Jon Jo Bates to poke the ball past him despite being taken down by Tom Bullard in the process.

The Blues were rocked and did not recover until Sam Nunn guided home a header from Lee Smith’s free-kick just past the hour-mark.

Back in the ascendancy, Lee Reed’s superb pass down the right released Sands, whose drilled cross was scrambled home by Smith to complete the turnaround.

Just as it seemed Bury were heading for their fourth consecutive victory in all competitions, Nunn and Bullard failed to deal with a simple ball through the middle and Barima slammed it into the net past a static Garnham.

Bury: Garnham 5, Short 6, Hall 6, Kennedy 7, Nunn 6, Bullard 6, Smith 7, Leabon 5 (S Reed 70, 6), Sands 6, L REED 7, Cunningham 6 (Clark 88, 6). Subs not used: Coulson, Hipperson.



Shots on target 3 4

Shots off target 3 4

Woodwork 0 0

Corners 5 2

Offsides 0 2

FK conceded 10 18

Bookings: Bury: None. Harrow: Tajbaksh (persistent infringement), Christian (foul). Red cards: None.

Referee: Anthony da Costa. Attendance: 362.