Blues are believing again to turn up heat on rivals

PICKING A PASS: Billy Clark shows his quality on the ball during Bury's 2-0 win over Carshalton Athletic at Ram Meadow on Saturday. ''''''''''''''MBFP-08-01-12 MM 041. Pictures: Mecha Morton.
PICKING A PASS: Billy Clark shows his quality on the ball during Bury's 2-0 win over Carshalton Athletic at Ram Meadow on Saturday. ''''''''''''''MBFP-08-01-12 MM 041. Pictures: Mecha Morton.
Share this article
Have your say



Bury Town 2 Carshalton Athletic 0

BURY Town goalkeeper Marcus Garnham recorded only his side’s second clean sheet in 19 games against Carshalton and has declared the belief is back in the Blues’ game.

A goal in each half saw Bury turn up the heat on their play-off rivals with Danny Cunningham’s sweet finish adding to Lee Reed’s close-range strike in what was a well-deserved three points.

Garnham, who had to demonstrate his agility by tipping over his bar twice, said: “It makes a change keeping a clean sheet. I can’t remember the last time I did, it has been a while. I made a couple of saves but it is a team effort.

“The team played really well but I just think second half we got a bit tired — we defended well though so they weren’t going to score.”

And Garnham is now hoping Bury can turn the victory into the start of a long winning run.

He added: “We have been playing better and better so now we need to hit a bit of form and crack on.

“Hopefully we can just push on now and go on a massive run, that is what we need. The belief seems to be back though.”

Richard Wilkins made one change, with Danny Cunningham coming back from injury to replace Kieran Leabon, who had picked up a knock.

Sam Reed glanced a header past the post early on and the Bury striker was soon running clear through until Luke Nolan did well to see out the danger.

Marcus Garnham threw up a strong left hand to tip over from Laurent Hamici after six minutes in what was a physical opening.

Bury opened the scoring after 22 minutes when Billy Clark’s low cross from the left was dummied by Sam Reed for brother Lee to watch his shot from close range only just bobble over the keeper’s legs and in.

The same player almost had a second minutes later, were it not for Nick Hamann turning his effort over the bar.

After a long and scrappy passage of play, the Robins’ Luke Pidgen could only find the side netting with his header and Tom Davis blazed over from the edge of the area in their only remaining chances of the half.

Bury were comfortably in control and almost had a second before the break with Craig Nurse shooting on the turn with his left foot, but put it too close to Hamann.

After a slow start to the second half Carshalton, who had been camped in their opponents’ half, put their keeper in a precarious position with a high back-pass he just managed to volley away under the close attention of Sam Reed.

But after comfortably soaking up pressure from the Robins, the home side doubled their advantage after 64 minutes.

Sam Reed came deep to pick up a long ball and his perfectly weighted pass sent Cunningham through on the left with the winger finishing superbly with a low angled strike into the far corner from 12 yards.

Bury were not having it all their own way though and Garnham had to punch clear from a dangerous cross and then tip over from Tom Davis’ excellent curling effort from 25 yards.

Sam Nunn had to make a smart clearance and then substitute Dean McDonald sent an effort whistling past the post as Carshalton searched in vain for a late way back into the game.