Disappointing draw denies Bury the chance to go top

Have your say


Bury 16 Eton Manor 16

PLAYER-coach Gavin Hogg was left disappointed after Bury missed the chance to go top of the league with a less-than-convincing draw against Eton Manor at The Haberden on Saturday.

The hosts stretched their unbeaten run to six matches, but only after the visitors saw a last-minute conversion crash back off the bar and, with Colchester falling to a 28-22 home defeat to new table-toppers Letchworth Garden City, Hogg was left to rue the missed opportunity, but remained determined to get back to winning ways at Ruislip tomorrow (3pm).

“We were very disappointed with the result but we didn’t deserve to win,” he said.

“It was certainly a missed opportunity for ourselves with Colchester losing again.

“We played poorly and got away without losing our unbeaten record, but I don’t like to look at it that way and I am keen put things right against Ruislip.

“We will be going down there expecting a tough match but knowing we need to put on a good performance.”

Bury started strongly, with Brentan Krammer crossing the line twice, once spilling the ball before being adjudged in touch by an alert official.

Eton Manor responded with a score, missed tackles by Bury producing a fine try for their winger.

Matt Briggs narrowed the gap with a penalty, but the first half showed the forced changes in personnel had weakened the team, particularly in the front five where Eton Manor held a considerable advantage.

After the interval, Bury started on the offensive and looking comfortable.

Briggs kicked a penalty, before skipper Anthony Fox made 50 yards in a storming run, resulting in prop Joe Winter barrelling over from 10 yards out. Briggs missed the conversion.

Further pressure led to a fine lineout drill and Fox drove over to score, but again the conversion was missed.

At 16-8, the large home crowd would have expected Bury to close out the game, but several opportunities were spurned by poor decision making, and Eton Manor realised there was a way back into the game.

They kicked a penalty from good pressure before the home team tried to create an attack from deep in their own half, which was destined to fail.

Eton Manor regained possession deep in home territory and, with the game deep in injury time, their winger slid over in the corner for the draw.