Derby drubbing sees super Stow pile up the points

Have your say


Stowmarket 94 Newmarket 21

STOWMARKET piled on the points in a one-sided Suffolk derby against struggling Newmarket, with the hosts falling just six points shy of a century.

However, it was Newmarket who took the lead with a converted try, only for Stow to fight back in the 10th minute when they opted for a lineout from a penalty and a well-worked move allowed flanker Bob Burch to score their first try.

Two minutes later, Stowmarket were in the same position. However, this time, No 8 Chris Wilson received the ball and broke through the defence to score under the posts. Full-back Tom Searles converted.

Stow continued to break through and, in the 18th minute, Wilson stole the ball, which led to centre Stu Hill making a half-pitch dash to add a converted try.

From the restart, fly-half Peter Baird cut through the Newmarket defence to create space for winger Dan Garrard to finish a converted score.

From a scrum inside the hosts’ 22, Newmarket scored their second converted try, before pulling the match back to within one score when a clearance kick from Stow was charged down.

Garrard scored his second of the game, again converted by Searles, before Stowmarket’s pacey Jermain Watson set up Wilson straight from the restart for a converted try to make the half-time score 40-21 in the hosts’ favour.

Seven minutes into the second half, Stowmarket had consecutive penalties and hooker Jack Haward crashed over the Newmarket try line to score.

From the restart, Garrard ran through to make his hat-trick try, before prop Colin Clarke broke through the defence for another converted score.

Wilson touched down his hat-trick try from the restart, successfully converted by Searles, before Garrard’s excellent pass set up a move involving Searles to set up Watson under the posts.

Burch cut through the defence, allowing Wilson to take his try count to four.

With five minutes remaining, Hill scored his second try under the posts and, from the restart, Clarke made a break through and released scrum-half Joe Fifield to score the final try of the game.

Searles converted for the 12th time, leaving the final score 94-21.