Home   Sport   Article

Bury Town take positives from draw

FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Grays Athletic''Pictured: Ben Chenery ANL-150329-202716009
FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Grays Athletic''Pictured: Ben Chenery ANL-150329-202716009



Romford 3

Bury Town 3

Ben Chenery admits he can take the positives from Bury Town’s 3-3 draw at Romford, which saw them relinquish victory in injury time.

The Blues were heading for a 3-2 win at Ship Lane on Saturday, before Matt Frew’s late equaliser snatched a point for the hosts.

And ahead of a home double against play-off chasers Cray Wanderers (tomorrow, 3pm) and Thurrock (Tuesday, 7.45pm), Chenery’s side are unbeaten in their last five.

“It was frustrating to concede late on,” the Bury manager said. “Going into Saturday we had eight players out for various reasons, and had one fit sub and a couple others not fully fit.

“In the end it was a good point and a positive result in context. But three goals away from home should be enough to win the game.”

James Paterson, Bradley Barber, Sam Reed and Justin Miller all missed Saturday’s trip to Romford, while Ollie Hughes and Noel Aitkens were only fit enough to make the bench.

Bury started the contest in the ascendancy and thought they should have been awarded a penalty in the fifth minute when Nick Ingram appeared to be upended by James Ishmail, but the referee waved away the appeals.

Nevertheless, the visitors kept the pressure on and were eventually rewarded in the 23rd minute.

Romford goalkeeper Richard Wray kept out Ollie Canfer’s initial effort, but Ingram was on hand to turn in the rebound. Canfer was again involved as the Blues went on to double the advantage in the 40th minute.

It was his cross from the right that picked out Josh Mayhew, who lashed his shot into the roof of the net.

However, just when it appeared that Bury were in control, the home side were able to pull a goal back just before the break when Nick Reynolds turned in a corner.

Lifted by that, the hosts looked rejuvenated after the restart and went on to even up the scoreline on 59 minutes.

On this occasion, the match official did point to the spot for a foul on George Woodward, and Ryan Boswell made no mistake from 12 yards.

Bury responded positively, though, and regained the lead 17 minutes from time. Wray could not hold Canfer’s shot, leaving Ingram to nod in his second goal of the contest.

It seemed that Ingram’s intervention was going to be a match-winning one until the third minute of stoppage time when Romford substitute Kwasi Marfo picked out Frew to fire in the equaliser.

“When you have so many players out you have to use your whole squad,” Chenery said. “The young players may make mistakes but they will always give you everything.

“The players who have played in the last five games have got us on this unbeaten run and must take credit for getting us out of the bad run we were in over Christmas.”

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More