Home   Sport   Article

Bury Town striker insists there are more goals to come after hat-trick debut

FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Haringey Borough''Pictured: Celebrating Ollie Canfer's goal ANL-161101-002121009
FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Haringey Borough''Pictured: Celebrating Ollie Canfer's goal ANL-161101-002121009



Bury Town 5

Haringey Borough 3

Josh Mayhew enjoyed a dream debut in a Bury Town shirt by scoring a 49-minute hat-trick and insists there is more goals to come.

The former Hadleigh United striker, who only put pen to paper on a deal the night before Saturday’s home clash with Haringey Borough, gave the Blues faithful a taste of what to expect following his move from fellow Ryman League Division One North play-off contenders Brightlingsea Regent.

Ollie Canfer and Cemal Ramadan added to Mayhew’s three-goal haul in an entertaining game, that saw Bury record their first league win since November on a wet Ram Meadow playing surface.

But two goals from Dean Fenton and one from Rakim Richards for the visitors, who played for much of the game with 10 men, ensured that the Blues did not have things all their own way.

Mayhew said: “It couldn’t really have gone any better, and it’s great to play upfront and show what I know I can do. Hopefully there’s more to come because there are goals in this team.

“From our point of view, defensively it was disappointing to concede the goals, but we did score five and the team has been on a bit of a bad run so it’s good to get the win.”

The striker also revealed the main reason behind his departure from Brightlingsea: “I was being played out of position and I wasn’t very happy with it, but I realise that is football sometimes.

“I want to play as an out-an-out frontman, and I think if I am given the chance to do that, then I will score goals.”

Blues skipper Phil Weavers returned to the starting-up following suspension, but manager Ben Chenery was still missing six first team regulars through injury.

The opening exchanges were even with both teams trying to find their feet in the boggy conditions.

It was first blood to Bury in the 14th minute when Remi Garrett’s accurate floated cross from the left found debutant Mayhew, whose diving header beat Ashley Harris in the Haringey goal.

The same player nearly added a second moments later, but the ball got away from him from James Paterson’s lofted cross and Harris was able to smother the danger.

But Mayhew did add his - and Bury’s - second in the 23rd minute after good work down the right by Garrett enabled him to head home.

The Blues went close again soon after when Ollie Hughes went clear on the right, but his well-struck shot fizzed just wide of Harris’ upright.

The first half woes for Haringey continued in the 29th minute when central midfielder Dewayne Clarke was harshly sent-off after a heavy tackle with Phil Weavers.

The two players both went whole-heartedly into the challenge, but referee Paul Burnham took exception to Clarke’s involvement and quickly brandished him a red card.

Connor Hall went close with a clever flick header following another good delivery from Garrett, but against the run of play the visitors pulled a goal back in the 43rd minute.

Fenton linked up well with Anthony McDonald and beat Neil O’Sullivan with an accomplished finish high into the net.

Bury regained their two-goal advantage on the stroke of half-time when Hughes’ cross from the right found Canfer, who headed firmly downwards past Harris.

Four minutes into the second half and Mayhew completed his hat-trick after Hughes’ blocked shot fell kindly into his path to make it 4-1.

Craig Nurse was booked for a robust challenge on McDonald and from the resultant free-kick, Rakim Richards got a deft-headed touch to beat O’Sullivan in the 55th minute.

Despite being a man light, Haringey were refusing to lie down and Daniel Walker headed over from a corner when well placed as the visitors pressed forward.

It was looking to be a nervy finish for the home side, but Ipswich Town loanee Ramadan eased any fears when his fierce shot squirmed under Harris for Bury’s fifth in the 83rd minute.

Hat-trick hero Mayhew was replaced by Ryan Jolland in the 87th minute and the new Blues striker received a deservedly warm reception from the home faithful.

But the visitors still weren’t finished and Taylor-Forbes’s shot was well saved by O’Sullivan before they added their third goal of the afternoon in bizarre fashion.

Fenton’s looping header from a right-wing cross was misjudged by O’Sullivan, who tried to palm the ball over his cross-bar, and the ball ended up in the net to the surprise of everyone in the ground.

It was one to forget for the Bury stopper, but the final whistle followed moments later to see the home side complete their first league win since November 21.

Bury Town: O’Sullivan 5, Allen 6, Paterson 6, Nurse 5 (Ramadan 57, 7), White 6, Weavers 7, Hall 7, Canfer 7, Hughes 7, Mayhew 9 (Jolland 87), Garrett 8 (Hammett 72, 7). Sub not used: Skevington.

Bury Free Press Man of the Match: Josh Mayhew. Attendance: 235.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More