Home   Sport   Article

Bury score three late goals to complete treble



Bury Town 4 Redbridge 1

by John Alcock

Bury Town came from behind to make it nine points from their last three games with a late goal rush at Ram Meadown on Tuesday.

The Blues soon found themselves behind after a defensive mix-up saw goalkeeper Neil O’Sullivan caught off his line and Charlie Portway took his chance to lob him inside eight minutes.

O’Sullivan stopped the visitors going further ahead with good saves from Reside Coxi Sebastfao and Ayomide Adeboxejo.

Bury started to get more involved with Dan Hammett’s swerving run through the defence setting up Ollie Canfer for a stinging shot which keeper Sam Sargent needed two saves to control.

Remi Garrett put a teasing cross in across the face of goal on 31 minutes but Canfer could not connect.

Bury’s momentum was growing and on 36 minutes Ollie Hughes headed home the equalizer after Darcy De’ath’s long throw was only half cleared, allowing the striker to nod in from close range.

Lowly Redbridge started the second half quickly and had a chance to regain their lead on 48 minutes, but the unmarked Adeboxejoun found O’Sullivan equal to his strike and saved well down low.

Hammett, who had been lively all evening, turned the defence inside and out whipped in a pacey cross to Nick Ingram in the six-yard box on 59 minutes, but the Ipswich Town youngster could not find a team-mate with his pull-back.

The visitors found themselves down to 10 men in the 65 minute when a frustrated Charlie Parish saw red for a dangerous two-footed tackle on Hammett. It soon saw the game tighten up with Redbridge looking to take a point.

Substitute Ingram went close on 86 minutes as he saw his deflected shot dribble agonizingly wide of the post.

Some sustained pressure from the home side saw them awarded a penalty on 87 minutes when Ingram was hauled down in the box. Mayhew then stepped up to fire Bury in front from the spot.

Three minutes later a determined run down the wing by Ingram saw him go past two defenders and slot home Bury’s third.

Bury continued to press forward and on 91 minutes Mayhew grabbed his second from distance after another good build up by the home side.

Bury: O’Sullivan, Skevington, Allen, Kennedy, De’ath, Weaver, Garrett (Ingram 82), Hall (Hammett 46), Hughes, Mayhew, Canfer. Unused subs: Collins, Nurse, White.

Att: 227.

n On Saturday Bury Town claimed back-to-back 1-0 wins on the road, this time courtesy of Ollie Canfer’s strike just before half-time.

After Connor Hall twice went close, with one effort headed off the line, and John Kennedy saw an effort turned round the post, the breakthrough eventually came in the 44th minute when Canfer converted Remi Garrett’s cross.

It could have been more were it not for Hall being denied again, before he went off injured after being booked in retaliation for what he had claimed was a missed stamp on him.

Josh Mayhew also had a goalbound second-half effort blocked and Bury stood firm to a late rally by the hosts.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More