Home   Sport   Article

Bury Saints extend winning start to the season


Colchester Gladiators 0 Bury Saints 40

The Bury Saints ran their undefeated record to 5-0 for the season after they handed out a thrashing to the Colchester Gladiators on Sunday.

The Saints offence scored on their first drive which was capped off with quarter-back Fred Boyle’s touchdown pass to wide receiver Evin Reese.

For the rest of the first quarter and halfway into the second that was all that the high powered Saints offence could muster.

The point after touchdown was missed and the Colchester defence used a great scheme to stop the Saints when needed and forced punts for the next four drives.

Midway through the second quarter, however, the offence upped the tempo and finally broke through for the second touchdown of the first half when running back Cory Jenkins, back after missing two games with an injury, took a hand-off and scampered 26 yards to paydirt.

The two-point conversion was good by Boyle passing to wide receiver Joe Hill.

The second half was where the Saints, who travelled with nearly 50 players, started to wear down the Gladiators who had less than 30 suited.

They scored touchdowns on their next four possesions with Boyle throwing one to wide receiver Axl Rodwell fresh back from university, as well as a touchdown pass to wide receiver Will Awadjie.

Running backs Chris May and Derek White both also chipped in with touchdowns on the ground. Kicker Pauly Bowers added the conversions to complete the scoring.

Yet, the real story of the day was the domination of the Saints defence that wreaked havoc all afternoon on the Colchester offence.

They caused multiple turnovers, sacks, tackles for losses and after the dust settled the defence had surrendered a grand total of six yards on offence by the Colchester side.

The defensive standouts were Trent Myers with seven tackles, Zach Hill with five tackles, Steve Wood with a sack and four tackles, Ramsey Orr with a sack and four tackles and Rob Patterson with two tackles and an interception.

Saints head coach Christian Cantrill said: “This was a very important game and we knew Colchester would be light on numbers, but they held tough in the first half and the hard pre-season work we put in back in January, February and March paid off today as we were the better conditioned team on a very hot day.

“I’m proud of what we have accomplished to date, especially of how the defence has grown and started to gel and I expect wonderful things from them going forward.”

Ahead of next weekend’s match against the Solent Thrashers, he added: “The Solent game is huge. We have a very short week and lots of work to prepare for a very dynamic offence and a prime-time pressure defence that will keep us on our toes. It’s going to be a massive test of everything we have worked on to date.”

After travelling to Southampton to take on the Thrashers, the Saints return home the following weekend to host Kent Exiles at the Thetford Rugby Club.

The Saints are currently top of the table, having scored 178 points and conceded 27.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More