Bury pass one thousand point mark

editorial image
Have your say

Bury St Edmunds stand on the verge of London One North glory as victory over Basildon left them with a 20 point lead with four games remaining.

The comfortable 71-5 success over their struggling hosts not only extended their advantage over nearest rivals Eton Manor but also saw Gavin Hogg’s side surpass the 1000 point mark for the second successive season. Basildon adapted quickest to the sodden conditions and broke the deadlock with a finely worked try from a midfield scrum.

However, Tanimo Samoa responded with Bury’s first try, Kenny Eggars adding the extras as the visitors took a lead that they would not relinquish.

Eggars then added two tries of his own both converted, to see Bury hold a 21-5 lead at the break.

The visitors picked up where they left off after the interval with eight further tries in a devastating 40 minute period.

Ryan Wiggins crashed over with the first of those four minutes after the re-start, which was followed by a further try from Jono Farmer under the posts shortly after.

Immediately from the kick-off, Bury scored once again, Matt Eddison racing through, before Ben Radmall’s powerful run gifted substitute Phil Gouldie an easy try under the posts.

Bury continued to defy the conditions to throw the ball about with abandon and run some superb lines.

Loose Head Prop Beau Gibson was enjoying the mudlark and on four occasions he burst through would be tacklers to surge downfield.

Sadly on three occasions his promising breaks were undone by spilling the ball, but on one occasion he did find Gouldie in support. The flyer’s progression to the line was halted illegally but while the Basildon defence tried to re organise, Page had taken the penalty quickly to weave in by the posts.

With 20 minutes to go, young prop Sean Davis was handed his first team debut and the 18-year-old did himself proud, coping manfully against a bigger opponent in now swamp like conditions.

Davis was part of a Bury pack that disrupted a home scrummage 30 metres out forcing a turnover.

The ball was quickly transferred down the blind side and skipper Eddison notched his second try of the day to make it 59 – 5.

Basildon continued to struggle to get a hold of possession and were punished further as Ben Scully weaved through to score, before Radmall raced away to add the final try of the game and round off a comfortable afternoon for the Haberden based outfit.