Home   Sport   Article

Bury forced to put championship celebrations on hold

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press

Bury St Edmunds Rugby Club were forced to put any championship and promotion celebrations on hold following defeat in a thrilling encounter at nearest rivals Barnes.

A large travelling contingent made the trip to London in the hope of seeing their side seal the championship but despite leading 27-21 with just five minutes remaining it was not to be as the hosts struck in the final minute with a converted try to break Bury hearts and keep their own title ambitions alive.

The result leaves Bury ahead by just three points ahead of a season finale decider at home to Gravesend on Saturday.

In the football, relegated Bury Town made it back-to-back wins in the Ryman League Premier Division with a 2-1 success over harrow Borough.

Jordan Patrick and David Lampshire had the Blues 2-0 ahead with Michael Peacock grabbing a late consolation for Borough.

In Division One North, table-topping Needham Market got back on track following a run of three games without a win as they overcame Burnahm Ramblers in a comfortable 3-0 victory.

Ian Westlake, Sam Newson and Regan Pelling got on the score sheet as the Marketmen reached 100 points to stay one point ahead of nearest rivals Harlow Town ahead of the two meeting on Saturday.

Victory in that encounter would ensure Mark Morsley’s men clinch the title and promotion with just one match remaining.

In the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, Walsham-le-Willows secured a 3-0 success against Godmanchester Rovers but there was 2-0 defeats for both Thetford Town and Mildenhall Town who lost to Brantham Athletic and Wivenhoe Town respectively.

In the First Division, Team Bury lost 2-0 at great Yarmouth Town, Needham Market Reserves drew 3-3 with Dereham Town Reserves and Stowmarket Town draw 1-1 away at Swaffham Town.

Ipswich Town moved back into the play-off places in the Sky Bet Championship following a 3-2 win at home to Blackpool.

Andrea Orlandi put the visitors ahead after four minutes before a quickfire Freddie Sears double put Town in front at the break.

Henry Cameron drew Blackpool level after 63 minutes but Christophe Barra struck with seven minutes to seal the three points for Town.

Meanwhile rivals Norwich remained in the automatic promotion places after substitute Gary Hooper struck a 90th minute winner away at Bolton Wanderers.

Graham Dorrans had the Canaries ahead after nine minutes only for Adam Le Fondre to equalise nine minutes later.

But with time almost up, Hooper struck a dramatic winner to keep Norwich on course for promotion.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More