Home   Sport   Article

Bury come away with pride intact

Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press
Latest sports news from the Bury Free Press



Redruth 22

Bury St Edmunds 8

Bury St Edmunds had nothing to show from their 750-mile round trip after a 10 minute purple patch secured victory for hosts Redruth.

There was concern in the moments leading up to the start of the game that Bury’s long journey would be in vain, as referee Sara Cox had deep reservations about whether the game could go ahead.

However those concerns were waved away as the game started, with the kick off not going well for Bury as within three minutes they had gone behind.

Redruth’s David Mankee’s clever kick caused the visitors to concede a line out 15 metres from the try line, and the Cornishmen combined well to power Matt Gidlow over the line, before Mankee’s conversion came back off the post.

Scott Lyle had the chance to reduce Bury’s arrears on nine minutes after Redruth were penalised for coming in at the side of a ruck, however his kick went narrowly wide.

The hosts extended their lead to 8-0 in the 17th minute when Mankee converted a penalty, before Bury fought back with winger Sam Goatley rushing to make the extra man and was credited with getting the ball over the line.

Scott Lyle could not land the difficult conversion, but five minutes later he did bisect the posts from 40 metres, after a high tackle on Shaquille Meyers had earned them a penalty.

The match was level with five minutes of the first-half left to play, which saw terrific defence from the visitors to repel Redruth for no less than eight phases within their own 22.

It had been an heroic and inspiring half of rugby from Bury in conditions that clearly suited the hosts, and the second-half began with Gavin Hogg’s charges refusing to be intimidated.

The hosts went back in front when Mankee executed a scissors move with the rampaging Kyle Marriot, and after the number eight managed to cling onto the ball, then powered through a static Bury defence for a try at the sticks.

Mankee added the extras to give Redruth a 15-8 lead on 53 minutes, before Ben Priddey bundled over for another try which was followed by a superb conversion from Mankee to finally earn the famous Redruth roar.

Bury responded with a series of close quarter drives which took them deep into the home 22, but just when it mattered most the scrum malfunctioned and the home side escaped.

The final few minutes saw both sides go in search of a bonus point, with first Redruth pressing and earning penalties to try to secure a fourth try, before Bury looked for a second try which would have given them a losing bonus point.

It was not to be for either side, and Bury’s efforts had deserved more, but they return to The Haberden with their pride intact and reputation enhanced.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More