Home   Sport   Article

Blues aiming to bounce back after two away defeats in three days

FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Phoenix Sports''Pictured: Darcy De'ath ANL-160702-205919009
FOOTBALL - Bury Town v Phoenix Sports''Pictured: Darcy De'ath ANL-160702-205919009



Aveley 3 Bury Town 2

Bury Town will be looking to find some degree of form when they host Thamesmead Town tomorrow (3pm) to take into their Suffolk Premier Cup semi-final with Lowestoft Town at Needham Market on Tuesday (7.45pm).

The Blues threw away another lead at Aveley on Monday — losing 3-2 after going 2-0 ahead following Saturday’s 1-0 lead ending up in a 3-1 defeat at Tilbury — to leave Ben Chenery’s previously play-off chasing side marooned in mid-table (12th) after seven games, including four straight defeats now, without a win.

Defender Darcy De’ath and striker Josh Mayhew had the Suffolk visitors 2-0 up on Monday and seemingly cruising to victory inside 20 minutes, before a goal pulled back by Abs Seymour five minutes before the break swung momentum back in Aveley’s favour, who went on to score two unanswered goals after the restart.

Bury took the lead on 10 minutes after an Ollie Canfer corner was picked up by Connor Hall, who played the ball in to De’ath to score with a solid strike.

The Blues doubled their advantage in the 19th minute with Mayhew beating the defence to go through on goal and slot his shot past the Aveley goalkeeper.

Aveley pulled a goal back when a Seymour free-kick was deflected off the Bury wall and into the back of the net, before the visitors had a chance to restore their two-goal lead when Canfer’s shot from the centre was easily saved.

The home side took the game to Bury in the second half and on 48 minutes a poorly defended free-kick broke to Perry Dunn on the far post who could not miss from close range.

Aveley’s continued pressure finally told in the 75th minute, as Billy Coyne crossed a deep ball into the box which caught Neil O’Sullivan out, as he got a hand to it at full stretch but palmed it into his own net to see the hosts go ahead.

n On Saturday Bury let a 1-0 lead slip as they suffered a 3-1 defeat away at Tilbury.

Dan Hammett gave the Blues a 1-0 lead after 61 minutes, before Tilbury hit back with three goals in the space of 12 second-half minutes to secure all the points.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More