Home   News   Article

Young Offenders Institution for Bury St Edmunds man who burgled house of friend’s mother

Ipswich Crown Court ANL-140617-141524001
Ipswich Crown Court ANL-140617-141524001

A man found inside a Bury St Edmunds woman’s house has been sent to a Young Offenders Institution.

Hari Farlie, 20, was discovered in the hallway of a property in Clay Road on May 15, Ipswich Crown Court heard today (July 31).

The mother of a friend of Farlie’s had been ‘shocked’ when she saw him inside her home with his hood up, said Michael Crimp, prosecuting.

A short time after Farlie had left, a wallet containing £75 in cash and a number of cards was found to be missing.

Mr Crimp said: “He simply took advantage of the fact that his friend wasn’t in the house. He didn’t realise that his friend’s mother was in.”

The court heard that Farlie, who has previous convictions for dishonesty and burglary, was arrested less than an hour after police were alerted and was found in possession of £75 in cash.

Farlie, of Tayfen Road, Bury, had pleaded guilty to burglary.

In mitigation, Marcus Croskell said Farlie’s life had been ‘going downhill’ for the past five years, resulting in him committing increasingly serious offences.

He told the court Farlie was a cannabis user who had been hoping to obtain some of the drug on the day of the offence and said the theft from the house had been ‘opportunistic’.

Judge John Devaux said the presence of the mother during the offence was an aggravating factor.

Farlie was sentenced to eight months detention in a Young Offenders Institution and ordered to pay a £900 Criminal Court Charge.

Judge Devaux said the £75 police seized from Farlie would be returned to the victim.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More