Home   News   Article

Worlington heart patient thanks medic who saved his life after holiday collapse

Dan Read
Dan Read

Alec Molton made a special trip today to say thankyou to the off-duty paramedic who saved his life when he suffered a cardiac arrest at Stansted Airport.

When Alec, 70, set off from his Worlington home for Stansted airport on June 3 last year, the only thing on his mind was the family holiday to Spain.

Alec Molton in hospital
Alec Molton in hospital

But shortly after checking in, Alec turned round to his loved ones and said, ‘Sorry son, I’ve had it’, and collapsed with a near-death cardiac arrest.

The father of two needed crucial help and fast. Fortunately, at that moment an off duty, specialist lifesaving paramedic, from Ely, was nearby, ready to go on his family break abroad.

Magpas Helimedix Paramedic Dan Read had also just arrived at Stansted with his wife and 3-year-old daughter. His wife saw a man had fallen to the floor and airport police were trying to help so she told Dan.

Dressed in shorts and flip-flops, he took charge, stopping chaos from setting in and helped provide enhanced life support for his fellow traveller, working alongside the Airport Police.

Alec and Glyn Molton today
Alec and Glyn Molton today

They were soon joined by the Airport Fire service with extra medical kit while two nurses stepped in to assist. An EEAST Ambulance Service Paramedic Crew then arrived to help.

Shortly afterwards, the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Air Crew flew in to Stansted Airport.

Pre-Hospital care Dr Ash Vasireddy and Critical Care Paramedic Jo Lambert arrived at the scene and saw Dan, their fellow Magpas Helimedix Air Ambulance Paramedic performing CPR for their patient.

All three specialist medics then worked together to provide enhanced pre-hospital care for the Alec, before the air ambulance crew accompanied him to Basildon Hospital.

Asked if he feels heroic, looking back,he replies, “Absolutely not! I’ve got the specialist skills to use and I wouldn’t think twice - in or out of work”.

Dan and his family managed to catch their flight after Stansted fast tracked them through.

Eleven months on and it’s been a long recovery process, but Alec is doing well and wanted to say thank you to everyone involved that day, but he especially Dan.

Alec and his family had been trying to track Dan down over the past months but this morning at Magpas’ Huntingdon headquarters they met Dan and the Essex and Herts Air Ambulance Air Crew to thank them.


Iliffe Media does not moderate comments. Please click here for our house rules.

People who post abusive comments about other users or those featured in articles will be banned.

Thank you. Your comment has been received and will appear on the site shortly.


Terms of Comments

We do not actively moderate, monitor or edit contributions to the reader comments but we may intervene and take such action as we think necessary, please click here for our house rules.

If you have any concerns over the contents on our site, please either register those concerns using the report abuse button, contact us here.

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More