West Suffolk’s marathon runners earn charities cash

Marathon runner  Angela Whitehead
Marathon runner Angela Whitehead
Have your say

The daughter of a Bury St Edmunds councillor who died last year was among runners from West Suffolk who took part in Sunday’s London Marathon.

Angela Whitehead, 46, raised almost £2,000 for charity Get Kids Going! in memory of her mother, Charlotte Howard, who died shortly after being elected as St Edmundsbury borough councillor for Bury’s Abbeygate Ward last year.

Angela said: “I’m quite proud of myself really and I know my mum would be.”

“My mum always said you can do anything if you try - she was the most inspirational woman I’ve ever known and I miss her so much,” she added.

Daniel Turner, 29, of Moreton Hall, completed the run in three hours 52 minutes, raising £2,300 for Clic Sargent in memory of his girlfriend, Michelle Dring, who died of brain cancer, aged 25, in October 2009.

He said: “Her death made me realise it can happen to any of us any time. I want to live life now rather than put things off.”

Of the event itself, he said: “It was really good because you have your name on your shirt and all these people cheer you on. At the landmarks, Big Ben and Tower Bridge, the noise was deafening - it made you keep on and not give up.”

Hannah Clark, 41, the landlady Of Bury’s Old Cannon Brewery, finished in five hours 34 minutes, raising around £2,000 for Breakthrough Breast Cancer.

She said: “It’s highly unlikely I’d do it again - it was torture - but it was a good day. The crowds were absolutely fantastic.”

Nicholas Ivory, 20, of Culford, raised around £1,500 for Macmillan Cancer Support in memory of his grandmother, Audrey. He ran it in five hours three minutes.

He said: “It was so good. I’ve never seen anything like it, everyone supporting everyone else. It wasn’t what I expected but it was amazing.”

Former Thurston Community College student Leanne Griffiths, 27, completed the race in 4 hours 39 minutes.

Her efforts raised more than £1,600 for the Lewy Body Society, a charity she became aware of following her Bury grandfather’s diagnosis with Lewy Body Dementia last year.

She said: “The race was difficult. I hit the wall at about 20 miles, but the crowd, and my support crew, were amazing. My reason for doing it managed to keep me going until the end.”