A ward at West Suffolk Hospital which was closed to admissions for almost a week after an outbreak of Norovirus was due to re-open yesterday.
Ward G3 closed last Friday night after six patients showed symptoms of the highly contagious bug which causes diarrhoea and vomiting.
The hospital also brought into use a high-tech portable sink which was stationed outside the ward for people to wash their hands with soap and water before entering and leaving.
Cleansing alcohol gels are not effective against the bug.
By Monday only one patient was showing symptoms and yesterday the ward got the all-clear.
Nichole Day, executive chief nurse at West Suffolk Hospital, said: “Norovirus is very infectious and every year there are cases in the community which transfer to the hospital.
“Because the virus has an incubation period of a few days people are often unaware that they are carrying it until after they have passed it on.”
General advice if that people with symptoms of Norovirus should not visit hospital for at least 72 hours after they have recovered even if they feel better.
Ms Day said the hospital was pleased that the early steps which had been taken had helped limit the spread of the illness