Home   News   Article

West Suffolk Council offers fast track process for pavement licences

Applications are open in West Suffolk for temporary pavement licences to help cafés, restaurants and pubs trade during Covid-19 and keep people safe.

The move by West Suffolk Council follows new legislation just agreed by Government to ease previous restrictions on putting items such as tables and chairs outside premises for the sale of food or drink for consumption.

A fast track process has been introduced so premises can apply, relevant consultees can have their say and a decision made in a much shorter time.

John Griffiths, leader of West Suffolk Council.
John Griffiths, leader of West Suffolk Council.

John Griffiths, leader of West Suffolk Council, said: “This is part of West Suffolk District Council’s ongoing support of helping businesses open and stay open while reducing the spread of covid-19.

"Not only do businesses have a role in this but the public must play their part too by following the guidance at the premises. Once approved, these licences will allow eligible businesses to put tables and chairs on the public highway outside their premises to attract more customers and increase trade, while also promoting social distancing and being subject to normal highway safe passage requirements."

Government are allowing councils to charge up to £100 to apply but West Suffolk Council has agreed during this time to make the process free.

While some rules have been relaxed businesses still need to be able to satisfy certain criteria to make sure people using both the premises and the highway are safe.

West Suffolk Council is also looking to hold webinars to help businesses understand the process and what is needed to further aid them in applying if they wish to.

Temporary pavement licences, which are available free of charge, will last until 30 September 2021.

However, they are subject to a statutory notice period of ten working days, during which time people will have an opportunity to comment on the application.

Businesses can find out more and what they need to apply by clicking here.

More by this author

This website and its associated newspaper are members of the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO)

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies - Learn More