Weekend round-up: Bury rack up year of wins, while Blues beaten at home

PERFECT FORM: Bury St Edmunds' coach Gavin Hogg
PERFECT FORM: Bury St Edmunds' coach Gavin Hogg
Share this article
Have your say

Bury’s all-conquering rugby side racked up a calendar year of victories as they defeated local rivals Colchester 54-7 in London One North to remain on course for the league title and promotion to the National League.

Skipper Matt Eddison (pictured) put them in charge with a hat-trick of tries as Gavin Hogg’s side cruised to their 27th consecutive success in all competitions.

They last didn’t taste victory on January 14, 2012, when losing to Thurrock.

In London Two North East, Stowmarket lost 34-10 at Enfield Ignatians, while Thurston were beaten 17-13 at Woodbridge in Greene King IPA Eastern Counties League Division Two.

In EC2, Mildenhall and Red Lodge Eagles were trounced 104-3 by Swaffham.

In football, Bury Town’s injury crisis is threatening to derail their Ryman League Premier Division promotion bid as they went down 2-1 to East Thurrock United.

John Sands opened the scoring, but strikes from Liam Burgess and Kye Ruel put the Essex outfit 2-1 up, but the game had a huge controversial moment late on when Sands appeared to bundled over by Ryan Sammons for a penalty, but no spot-kick awarded.

Needham Market are still searching for their first win of the season after losing 1-0 to Grays Athletic in Ryman One North.

Walsham-le-Willows bagged a controversial late leveller from the penalty spot to draw 1-1 with Stanway Rovers and remain top of the Thurlow Nunn League Premier Division.

Mildenhall Town closed the gap to just a point though with a brilliant 4-1 victory at title rivals Dereham Town with James Paterson on target twice.

Thetford Town have taken just one point from the last 30 available to them – albeit all against sides chasing the title – after being crushed 5-1 by Wisbech Town at home.

In the First Division, Team Bury won 2-1 at Debenham LC thanks to goals from Conor Davies and Ryan Taylor, but Stowmarket Town’s clash with Great Yarmouth Town was postponed.